Terribly cloudy water after vacuuming gravel

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by LindaC, Jul 24, 2012.

1. LindaC

LindaCNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi there,
    I am a newbie here at Fishlore, as of just yesterday. I love reading all the posts to expand my knowledge.
    Yesterday I did a water test. Ammonia & nitrites were 0, my nitrates were high, between 20 - 40. About 5 years ago or so I had a 55 gal aquarium and I'm just starting to get back into it now and its like starting all over again

I now have a 55 gal tank I bought used 2 -3 of months ago ( gravel & decor included ) with cichlids included I sold them off. I kept the 5" LF Synodontis, since then I have bought a 4" plecco, 3 Black Skirt Tetras, a Dwarf Gauramis, I had 5 Cory Cats but I lost two since yesterday. and I have 3 Angle Fish ranging in size of a nickle to between a quarter & 50 cent piece. ( these are my favorites & hope to make them a hobby in their own rite)

Today I did a water change almost 50%, using a ( brand new ) Lee's Ultimate Gravel Vac with the attachment. I really worked it through the stones good. As I was doing this I noticed the water coming out really wasn't showing much debris and it made me wonder how well the attachment worked. great at keeping fish out, but not sure how much debris is passing through.

Once I filled the tank the water was terribly cloudy & you could see the debris floating through the water. I was wondering if anyone would give me their thoughts on the matter, maybe share your experiences.
    Thank you all in advance.

Linda

2. jwhorner6

jwhorner6Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have never used the lee's vac or that attachment. I'm assuming it is the attachmet that looks like a couple of V shapped ridges in it?

It sounds like it wasn't allowing the debris to go through so you were actually just stirring the debris out of the gravel wrather than vacuuming it out during the water change. Your filter should remove most of it and it should settle down soon. Once it does I would try to do a vac. without the attachment and see if you get better results.

3. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Also when you refill the tank try to fill over something, large decorations, or put a plate in there to fill on. Something so that you aren't dumping buckets directly on the gravel and stirring everything up.

I do 20-25% water changes weekly.

4. OP
    OP
    LindaC

LindaCNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you to both of you. The refilling isn't an issue. I have heard or read of using a bowl when pouring water into the aquarium but with this vacuum set up it also refills it with a more gentle stream of water that doesn't disrupt the setting.
    As far as the attachment goes I kinda agree with jwhorner6. I will do another water change tomorrow. Definately easy enough with this vacuum. No more buckets to ferry to the sink :;banaman

Thanks again,

Linda

5. hacksaw15

hacksaw15Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I used the Lee's Gravel Vac and it work just like the others. As for the cloudy water you are not going to get all of the debris. What it really sounds like is you are over feeding. My tanks are slighty cloudy also until I refill. I was feeding way to much. The more you feed the more poop and uneaten food you are going to get at gravel vac/water change time.