Terrible, Terrible News...

FlutterFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The worst thing that I've dreaded for so long has happened - Robert F. Kennedy IV has passed away.

Honestly, I knew it was going to happen one day, since Bobby was a moderately aged betta by this point (only three weeks until his fourth birthday...), but I'd always believed that it would happen later. He was perfectly fine even a few days ago - no sign of diseases, parasites, and the water parameters were normal : Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 15/20.

I feel like I could have done something to let him live longer, that I wasn't a good enough owner, that it was all my fault that I couldn't identify what he died of. I feel guilty how I didn't remember to autospy him before I buried him, or how I didn't pause to think twice about internal parasites. I keep thinking I could have saved him, he could have still lived, that he died such a young age compared to all the other bettas.

His new 10 gallon was almost done - he would always flare at all the items I brought in one by one. He was such a spunky and wonderful fish, always playing with the filter and jumping to eat out of my hand. I feel like I'll never have the same bond with a new fish again - but again, was it just all in my head? Did I expect too much of him, believeing that everything would be a perfect fantasy? Was it just me - my fault - that I took this loss so hard, since my imagination always creates something that's not? Or was it just always plain bad luck, which I'm prone to stepping into?

I've calmed down a bit now, and I'm really thankful if you actually read this whole emotional mess. Not everyone comes along and cares about a student crying over her dead fish on the Internet.

As a final note, I hope Bobby goes to a wonderful place, and joins the real Robert F. Kennedy. Say hI and an apology to Nemo, by the way. Remember that I always loved you so much, even though you may have hated me for never giving you the amount of bloodworms you wanted.

SwI'm in peace, Bobby. SwI'm in peace.

_IceFyre_

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So sorry for your loss
He had a really long life compared to most bettas and I'm sure he got the very best care.
Don't forget, he's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge

OP
FlutterFish

FlutterFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you so much for all your comments! I really appreciate it

OP
FlutterFish

FlutterFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Washed out the whole Fluval Spec, and repackaged the plants to give to my LFS. I'll have to give the tank away to my friend, since I don't have any more room.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom