Terrible, Terrible News...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlutterFish, Apr 15, 2017.

1. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

The worst thing that I've dreaded for so long has happened - Robert F. Kennedy IV has passed away.

Honestly, I knew it was going to happen one day, since Bobby was a moderately aged betta by this point (only three weeks until his fourth birthday...), but I'd always believed that it would happen later. He was perfectly fine even a few days ago - no sign of diseases, parasites, and the water parameters were normal : Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 15/20.

I feel like I could have done something to let him live longer, that I wasn't a good enough owner, that it was all my fault that I couldn't identify what he died of. I feel guilty how I didn't remember to autospy him before I buried him, or how I didn't pause to think twice about internal parasites. I keep thinking I could have saved him, he could have still lived, that he died such a young age compared to all the other bettas.

His new 10 gallon was almost done - he would always flare at all the items I brought in one by one. He was such a spunky and wonderful fish, always playing with the filter and jumping to eat out of my hand. I feel like I'll never have the same bond with a new fish again - but again, was it just all in my head? Did I expect too much of him, believeing that everything would be a perfect fantasy? Was it just me - my fault - that I took this loss so hard, since my imagination always creates something that's not? Or was it just always plain bad luck, which I'm prone to stepping into?

I've calmed down a bit now, and I'm really thankful if you actually read this whole emotional mess. Not everyone comes along and cares about a student crying over her dead fish on the Internet.

As a final note, I hope Bobby goes to a wonderful place, and joins the real Robert F. Kennedy. Say hi and an apology to Nemo, by the way. Remember that I always loved you so much, even though you may have hated me for never giving you the amount of bloodworms you wanted.

Swim in peace, Bobby. Swim in peace.

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss.

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

So sorry for your loss:(
    He had a really long life compared to most bettas and I'm sure he got the very best care.
    Don't forget, he's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge:emoji_heart:

4. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCal Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry about your fish! What a beautiful eulogy!

5. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

6. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

That's so sad, I'm sorry.

7. JRS

JRS Well Known Member Member

I am sorry for the loss of your beloved pet! :(

8. CaptByMoonlight

CaptByMoonlight New Member Member

I empathize with your pain :(

9. OP
    OP
    FlutterFish

Thank you so much for all your comments! I really appreciate it :)

10. OP
    OP
    FlutterFish

Washed out the whole Fluval Spec, and repackaged the plants to give to my LFS. I'll have to give the tank away to my friend, since I don't have any more room.

11. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

): I am sorry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice