Terrible Pleco Mom

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whelp, I bought 12 BN plecos off aquabid a couple months ago. They were tiny babies so I was going to let them grow out before picking the ones I wanted to keep for breeding pairs and selling the rest to my LFS.

So I've had them in my 29g community growing out (before you ask, yes I added extra filters, monitor the tank closely and do frequent extra water changes). Well I noticed one of my albinos was getting his bristles so I knew soon I could start telling gender for all. I figured they were all still too small to breed........

I. AM. A. TERRIBLE. PERSON. :bigtears:

I decided to change the decorations to these AWESOME star wars ones I found. So I pulled out this big helicopter decoration that was in there that the big male had claimed as his cave (still thinking all but him were too young/small to breed).

Put the helicopter and other decos in a bucket and walked away. Went to put them in the sink to clean them before storing them. I noticed two things wiggling in the bucket....I screamed thinking it was worms. Only to realize it was two tiny baby plecos! I ran back to the tank only to watch the angelfish having a baby pleco buffet........:bigtears:

Note to self, the plecos are old enough to successfully breed.....two I saved are in my 2.5g super planted shrimp tank with 2 baby guppies growing out until they're big enough not to get eaten :mask:

pleco.jpg

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh no! You poor thing! You are not a terrible person for this happening, don't beat yourself up. I can imagine this would be upsetting and disappointing but obviously you are doing a lot of things right to have maintained an environment which you ended up with so many baby plecos, or maybe you just play a lot of Barry White albums which got the fish in the mood . (Anyone under 40 years old is probably has no idea what I am talking about) Anyways hang in there and try to look at this as an opportunity to gain more knowledge. Sorry this happened to you but just glad you managed to save a couple of them.

babyshark24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Poor beans! Best of luck to you, I know I would feel horrible if that happened to me... just make sure they don't breed again!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no! You poor thing! You are not a terrible person for this happening, don't beat yourself up. I can imagine this would be upsetting and disappointing but obviously you are doing a lot of things right to have maintained an environment which you ended up with so many baby plecos, or maybe you just play a lot of Barry White albums which got the fish in the mood . (Anyone under 40 years old is probably has no idea what I am talking about) Anyways hang in there and try to look at this as an opportunity to gain more knowledge. Sorry this happened to you but just glad you managed to save a couple of them.
Yeah I'm happy I saved a couple too, I'm excited to see how they turn out too as my hunch is it was a standard BN mom and a albine BN dad

Poor beans! Best of luck to you, I know I would feel horrible if that happened to me... just make sure they don't breed again!
Well I got them with the intention to breed them so my goal is for them to breed again I just wasn't prepared for them to breed this early. Most of them are between 2-3" aside from the male. Moving fish around this weekend to give them a proper breeding set up!

Whiteseam

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the spawn ! Don’t fret too much about the losses. It happens to everyone but you are ready for them now. Wishing you future success !

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 36.6%

Top Bottom