Terrible living conditions

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was at the loccal Petland and saw about 12-15 ocsars (about 2" ea) in a tank no larger than 20 gallons. When I took a closer look I saw that they all had nipped fins and some were just floating there. It's terrible how pet stores don't keep the rules of how many fish and what type go together in mind when they stock their tanks. What was nicer to see though was that they had a huge tank (i think it was about 150 gallons), with a full grown ocsar and a huge Pacu. Give me your thoughts.
Tom

grotbag63

Reaction score
hi
just read your post and thought of a friend of mine that went to a pet shop and found the conditions that they had the animals in was disgusting so he rang the SPCA. not sure on what actually happened but about 2 months is later he went down and the petshop was closed. not sure what happened but at least the animals went suffering

robby270

Reaction score
Yeah i know what you mean. Yesterday i was buying a undergravel pump at Wal-mart and they had they're betta fish in little cup on shelves, now i know thats normal for basically everywhere but, have you ever looked at the cups in the back of the shelves? It could be just this wal-mart but all the betas in the back where dead. So just to mess with them i switched the lively betas in the front of the shelves with the dead ones in the the back, not sure what happened exactly but now the wal-mart here has a staff member at least 1 always monitoring the fish in the pet section.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's good because at the Wal-mart near me there is no body around to help you when you need it in the pet section and if you ask someone else to get someone from the pet section they just go and walk away.
Tom

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I always judge a pet store by it's fish tanks... if the tanks are nasty or crowded or just unsuitable for the fish in them, I walk right out, even if I was there buying something for my cats!!!!

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
any time i look at the fish at wal-mart (just look, would NEVER buy) there are always dead ones on the bottom being eaten by the others. it's really sick.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i was just reading ti sthing on oscars and apparently if u r only to have one oscar you need 2000 litres or 530 gallons of water!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lolagurl said:
i was just reading ti sthing on oscars and apparently if u r only to have one oscar you need 2000 litres or 530 gallons of water!
I think that is if you want a few oscars. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Tom

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that is if you want a few oscars. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Tom
heres the page that says it, its only a paragraph or so........

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it's a typo..Should be 200 liters or around 55 gallons. I have had Oscars before and they DO NOT get that big to justify a 500 gallon tank.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yea lol didnt think so..just want to show u the prettiest oscar i ever saw..
1.jpg

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
any time i see larger oscars in a petstore, they look so sad! they're always in a 10 or 20 gallon tank, and there just isn't anywhere for them to go. I wish i could save all the fish suffering in these tiny little tanks.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wow, an albino tiger... VERY nice!

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I knew a guy that raised an Oscar in a 20 gallon tank. It was awfull. The alge on the glass had rubb spots where the Oscar would turn around. It was a sad sight indeed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom