Terrible experience with Aqueon Water Changer

Discussion in 'Misc. Reviews' started by LyleB, Jan 1, 2013.

1. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Bought one of these in spite of very mixed reviews on Amazon. I decided to go for it based on the praise it gets here. Must say, I wish I hadn't.

I had a HUGE mess to clean up. The fittings are made of such cheap, soft plastic that they strip by looking at them cross-eyed. The compression fittings do not hold against household water pressure (I have low pressure compared to most). If you get one of these, use two people, one to hold the end in the tank, one to turn on the water at the tap. Using the valve at the tank end caused the whole thing to blow apart. The compression fitting was as tight as it would go, since I had read about others having problems with it.

The fitting at the sink, barely holds on to a brand new Moen fixture. Not a cheap one. There are very few threads with the particular adapter needed. Even when it was up and working, it had so little suction from a bottom tank on a two tank stand, that it wouldn't suck much at all out of the gravel.

VERY disappointed. Back to buckets for emptying, a hose from a proper faucet hook-up for filling. MUCH easier in the long-run. Not to mention CHEAPER.

Anyone want to buy a Water Changer cheap - only used once!

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Wow I'm sorry to hear you had problems with yours but in all fairness, you must have gotten a bad one! :(

I have had mine for 8 months now and use it frequently with none of the problems you described.

Hopefully you can get your money back from Amazon. That truly is terrible to have to experience that.

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I use mine to fill only. I have low water pressure and a bad sink. I use a smaller hose to empty out the window. I use the aqueon to fill only.

4. OP
    OP
    L

LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, but a hose from the Laundry room is much cheaper and MUCH less hassle, and WAY more secure. I just tried again to hook this thing up - no go. Leaks, attachments fall apart.

May keep the vinyl tube (not much they could have screwed up with a tube) to siphon from the tanks into the toilet or bath tub, they are at a lower level than the tanks, then just use a regular hose and nozzle for filling.

The valve assembly is really junk on mine at least.

5. psalm18.2

Try hooking up to your shower. I got a hose connector for my shower. I take off the head and attach my Aqueon. Works great.

May be an option for you to try.

6. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Personally, I would take it back and get your $$$ back. . Maybe try a python or something else and see if it works any better :)

7. OP
    OP
    L

Well, if the design were different, I may try it.

The problem with the design is that the part that keeps failing the worst (the compression fitting to the long hose) is designed at a 45 degree angle to the flow of any faucet. As a result, when the fitting blows off, the water shoots right out into the room, no chance of ending up in the sink (or tub). A downward connection would at least contain a portion of the water escaping. Could easily have been done by making the bottom of the valve assembly a "Y" or if that wouldn't work for the siphon, simply adding an elbow after the compression fitting, so that the compression fitting itself pointed down, then the elbow pointed the hose out into the room.

8. psalm18.2

That does not sound like mine, it goes down, into the sink. Maybe you did get a lemon.

9. OP
    OP
    L

10. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

Wow, only issues I've had are:
    - the switches are a bit tough to turn, esp the one on the siphon itself, but I rarely use it anyways.
    - the adaptor pieces are plastic as you said. I just leave mine attached to my sink and take the connector thingy off. I use it too often to bother swapping every time
    - the suction is weaker on certain tanks compared to others, which is weird. I wish the suction were better/stronger but my tanks are clean and I dont have to pay attention to an overflowing bucket while I'm re-planting the destruction from my cories :D

The tube pressure problem I knew about prior to getting it, but I think thats a common problem amongst the attached water changers, but dont hold me to that :;dk Another reason why I dont bother with the switches, but my tanks are within sight from my sink so I can just turn the water off from the sink. I can only imagine how thats annoying otherwise! None the less, I'm sorry you've had such an issue with it. :( Hope you have better luck with the other one! :D Be sure to let us know!

11. freak78

freak78Well Known MemberMember

I got one for Christmas this year and haven't had issues yet. The end in the tank did leak a little but I added a o ring to the compression fitting and that fixed it.

12. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I only use mine for filling. Firstly the diameter of the cylinder is so big that the suction wasn't good enough, and my boyfriend doesn't mind dumping out the buckets...it's the lifting them to the top of the tank that was annoying. It makes filling the tank much easier though. :) Hope you can get your money back!

13. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I have been wondering about products like this. Sorry that you have had so much trouble. I have had luck in finding only the Python at my preferred online supplier. It seems like a good product, but I will look into it a bit more before taking the plunge. 

14. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

hmmmm is that why the suction is weak? interesting! :) I dont have a boy toy to do my bucket lifting :( but I just couldn't take refilling the tank with a bucket! made a mess in the tank and outside!

15. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear your bad luck with the Aqueon water changer.

I have been using mine for the last 2-3 years and have only had one issue that was my fault. I had over tightened the faucet thread and cracked the threaded ring. My LFS I bought it from was nice enough to replace it free provided I give them the broken one.

When using the changer connected to the faucet, I noticed (at multiple houses) the water must be running to get a good suction. This is probably due to the small opening in the faucet adapter as well as the height of the faucet to the height of the tank. This is multiplied if the tank is lower than the sink.

The reason above is why I just run the siphon hose out our sliding doors. It saves on water and doesn't restrict the siphon as the water can come out the drain and faucet side of the adapter.

What I do to siphon the tank.
    1. Run the hose outside (could use to water plants nearby provided the hose is long enough)
    2. Close valve at siphon head (tube that goes in tank)
    3. Submerge in the tank until full.
    4. Lift above tank, open valve
    5. As the water starts to go down tube, submerge siphon head back into the tank
    6. You should have a siphon started now, if not, you can repeat. The most I've had to repeat was 3 times.
    7. Once siphoned, drain hose (I walk the hose and raise until drained)
    8. Siphon Done!

Filling the tank.
    1. Make sure siphon head is in tank.
    2. Connect to faucet with proper adapter/s if needed. Do NOT over tighten. Some seepage will occur. Leave valve open (tap will drain into sink)
    3. Match water temp to tank (or as close to it as possible)
    4. Close valve (tap will enter tube to fill tank)
    5. Add dechlorinator/additives as necessary while filling (this will mix as tank fills)
    6. Fill to proper level. Shut off faucet.
    7. Drain hose (I walk the hose and raise until drained)
    ....OR with the siphon head valve CLOSED, remove from tank.
    ....A. Lift hose at the sink to drain some of the water out.
    ....B. Remove adapter from faucet. Set it outside.
    ....C. With the siphon head above the hose, open the valve.
    ....D. Walk the hose and raise until drained
    8. Coil into bag and put away with valves OPEN (this will help allow the water to evaporate)

I did the above from memory. If anybody needs, I will be doing a WC today and can document a little better with pics.

Outlaw

16. OP
    OP
    L

That sounds fine, Outlaw. But I can accomplish the same with a properly screwed on garden hose to the laundry room sink. No worries about seepage or the hose blowing off under pressure.

My point is, if the water changer doesn't work as advertised, or as designed, then it is really no better or more convenient than a simple, cheap garden hose.

I hear these stories (even here on Fishlore) of people using it for filling only because the siphon doesn't work, or works poorly. Amazon has plenty of accounts of folks who flooded their kitchen/bathroom because it won't withstand the normal household water pressure.

I tried it and experienced both of the problems most people complain about. I just decided I would be better off with a cheap garden hose. Probably many folks can get the same benefit with much less cost and hassle.

YMMV, but wanted to present the other side from what I was hearing here.

17. outlaw

I completely agree.

I think the ones people have issues with may just be defective? The few people I have talked to that have had them haven't had these issues you did, including myself. One unknown is the water pressure of the homes I have used this at (4 houses with different faucets)

If using the siphon attached to the sink. I haven't looked into all of them but the siphon (most of them from what I've seen) only works "good" when the faucet is on in which you can kind of control the speed of the siphon by how fast the water is coming out. If it is just attached to the faucet but not turned on, it will barely do anything which is somewhat expected as the drain is about the same height as most aquariums.

I agree with filling the tank. If you have the hose already, it makes perfect sense. Depending on the diameter, you could probably do a little DIY and fit a siphon to the end of the hose and still eliminate the need for your buckets.

Since you have the hose and it already works on the faucet. Personally I would do this or at least see how feasible it is.

Cheap Siphon - http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Gravel...id=1357310315&sr=1-8&keywords=aquarium+siphon (May be cheaper ones out there)

If the barb on the head is not right, the hardware store would probably have an adapter
    Barb adapter (actual size may vary and zip ties recommended) -  

This would have the same function as a store bought but the fraction of the price, even if you wanted to add a valve or two, it wouldn't add more than 5-10 dollars.

Outlaw

18. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Wow, this thread makes me love my python even more. I run my homes water at 70 psi (average home 55-60 psi) and never had an issue with it blowing anything apart.

19. outlaw

lol. I can't say that a standard home water pressure has ever crossed my mind as being an issue with these until now. In the homes they were used in, I never had the thought to ask "what is your water pressure".

When I loaned it out to my co-worker with siphon experience of siphon-3ft hose-bucket, my only advice to them was "please don't over tighten, it's just plastic".

Outlaw

20. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I only think it really matters alot when you get the temp right and you've shut the valve on the water changer with the faucet on right before you refill, other than that, a little extra pressure may help the siphon but not much imo.

I always think of water pressures! I've been a plumber for 13 years. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice