Terrible experience buying from BucePlant.com Killed ALL my shrimps (20+!) within 4 hours and they simply shrugged it off!

hahafish

Reaction score
I started keeping fish and shrimp about two months ago. My shrimps were doing fantastic and had two batch of babies! Then my dwarf gourami figured out how to eat the juvenile shrimps so I separated the shrimp out into a 7.5 Gallon Nano.
I bought $50 worth of plants from BucePlant.com, their website is great! their shipping speed is great! I was thrilled and put all the plants into the Nano tank.
Within 4 hours, ALL of my 20 shrimps died! Including a pregnant blue dream!
I emailed them to ask if they use pesticides on their plant, here's there reply:
-----------------------------------------
Thank you for reaching out to us.

We're so sorry to hear about shrimp! Please note we receive from a local supplier however we can not confirm whether they may or not use pesticides in their plants. We can absolutely reassure you that we personally do not use pesticides in store. We simply store them in our holding systems until they are purchased.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send them our way.

Kind regards,

BucePlant Team Member
----------------------------------------

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ask them ,their holding tank has live stock on it or not .
Edit: any way ,it wont help you any thing even you discovered the true.Any thing you buy from store.local fish shop or online..Quarantine, sanitize and make sure it has no sickness contain...you do not know what will be in their product, or live stock...

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First, sorry. That really sucks.

Second, Ive never heard of such a thing, ie., adding plants and having all your animals die.

I dont keep shrimp (theyre illegal here) so Im wondering if the plants were poisonous to them? But in 4 hours to have everything die off, I cant imagine.

Sounds like the plants either had something on them or some other sort of bad luck just happened to coincide with the plants being put in. Again, Ive never heard of plants being added to a tank and then a mass die off occur.

hahafish

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
First, sorry. That really sucks.

Second, Ive never heard of such a thing, ie., adding plants and having all your animals die.

I dont keep shrimp (theyre illegal here) so Im wondering if the plants were poisonous to them? But in 4 hours to have everything die off, I cant imagine.

Sounds like the plants either had something on them or some other sort of bad luck just happened to coincide with the plants being put in. Again, Ive never heard of plants being added to a tank and then a mass die off occur.
I suspect the plants were treated with pesticides for killing bugs. (shrimps are kind of sort of bugs after all). The plants themselves look perfect, perhaps too perfect.

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you eliminated other possibilities? How long were the shrimp in the new tank? Was it fully cycled?

hahafish

Reaction score
absolutely caused by dunking in the plants. I had ammonia death in a fresh tank before, it was not a mass die off within 4 hour thing, more like a couple shrimps die over the course of a week thing.

californiascape

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used to love BucePlant, but my last order totally turned me off of them! Literally 6 different types of pests, so disgusting. I’m lucky I quarantine plants. Literal (terrestrial) mites or fleas (not sure which) crawled out of one portion of the plants :yuck:

Anyways, I put them on full blast to all my instagram followers, and they responded to my story basically like “Sorry, we can’t guarantee no pests, because if we used pesticides, that might kill people’s sensitive fish/inverts. Once we had to replace a person’s whole PRL shrimp colony.”

So yeah, maybe they can replace yours or something? I doubt they would, but it’s worth a shot. I can send you a screenshot of the conversation I had with a staff member if you want it for leverage.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How recently did you move out your shrimp? It's easy to blame someone else when something sudden happens. I think we need more to go on before making accusations, IMO.

hahafish

Reaction score
californiascape said:
I used to love BucePlant, but my last order totally turned me off of them! Literally 6 different types of pests, so disgusting. I’m lucky I quarantine plants. Literal (terrestrial) mites or fleas (not sure which) crawled out of one portion of the plants :yuck:

Anyways, I put them on full blast to all my instagram followers, and they responded to my story basically like “Sorry, we can’t guarantee no pests, because if we used pesticides, that might kill people’s sensitive fish/inverts. Once we had to replace a person’s whole PRL shrimp colony.”

So yeah, maybe they can replace yours or something? I doubt they would, but it’s worth a shot. I can send you a screenshot of the conversation I had with a staff member if you want it for leverage.
Well I guess that's what happens when a business scales too fast and lose sight of quality! It's a typical, textbook case of a business scaling up at the cost of lower quality. We'll see if they survive. I for one will shop elsewhere.
I don't think it is worth my time to ask them to replace my shrimp colony, considering they don't even have a phone number to call and only has an email, which is replied by a different person every time. I'll just cut my losses and shop elsewhere.

scarface said:
How recently did you move out your shrimp? It's easy to blame someone else when something sudden happens. I think we need more to go on before making accusations, IMO.
If the deaths spread out a few days I would blame myself, when it happens within a few hours, and ALL the 20 shrimps died, I absolutely correlate to the plants. Ammonia death is NOT like this.

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hahafish said:
If the deaths spread out a few days I would blame myself, when it happens within a few hours, and ALL the 20 shrimps died, I absolutely correlate to the plants. Ammonia death is NOT like this.
Did you check your water parameters after this happened?

I'm not saying it's your fault but I would be curious to see if something looked off.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a similar wipeout a few years back after buying new plants from an Lfs, within a couple of hours every shrimp was dead
The plants were the only new thing hat had been added in months.
I suspected the plants had been sprayed/dipped in some kind of pesticide although I couldn’t prove it it was too much of a coincidence, around the same time I read this...
PFK investigates: Shrimps killed by mail order plants!
I now recommend to anyone who has inverts to quarantine new plants for at least two weeks with lots of water changes before adding them to the tank.

NathJK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Keeping fish/shrimp for 2 months? Yet you think a random poison from a plant store killed your tank...my money is on somthing at your end causing it.

Cryoraptor

Valued Member
Reaction score
I imagine the plants were treated with copper to kill snails and nymphs. You know what else copper is poisonous to? Shrimp as they are also inverts. Sorry for your losses. Next time, you should look and see whether the plants are treated or not if the seller discloses it. Getting untreated plants runs the risk of introducing pond snails and dragonfly or damselfly nymphs but the alternative is killing all your useful/wanted inverts.

NathJK said:
Keeping fish/shrimp for 2 months? Yet you think a random poison from a plant store killed your tank...my money is on somthing at your end causing it.
Actually, some plants are treated to kill unwanted hitchhikers such as snails and nymphs. It just so happens that shrimp are highly vulnerable to any invert-killing substances as well as the unwanted pests.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm very sorry this happened to you! I could definitely see something like this happening so it could very well have been something on their end. But I also wouldn't be so quick to sully buceplants name over it...
If I buy a new drink from PepsiCo, drink it, and then die 4 hours later and my family tries to sue PepsiCo over it I would think that the judge would insist on an autopsy before awarding any money. Truth is, I could have had an underlying health issue and unfortunate timing made it look like that drink did it when in actuality it was the underlying health issue finally catching up to me.
Now, I'm not saying you are going to sue buceplant and I'm not saying that it wasn't their fault, but I think we should always look at all factors before utilizing our jump to conclusions mats.
What was the time frame between moving the shrimp to the 7g and adding the new plants to it?
Are there any shrimp left in the old tank that you may have missed? The hatchlings are rather small and very easy to miss. If so, what kind of condition are they in?

californiascape

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
To all the people speculating above that it was pesticides, BucePlant specifically told me they DON’T use pesticides for that exact reason. Now, they might have not told the truth, but I’d think that they would.

They left me on read the last time I questioned their reliability and asked about their quality control rules. Sketchy... I still can’t believe that mites crawled out of my plants. Not to mention, between the 6 plants I ordered I got hydra, 2 kinds of snails, dragonfly larvae, water fleas, and some algae.

Maybe it would be jumping to conclusions in this shrimp death scenario, but it’s no doubt that BucePlant is being shady over their quality control. Giving me all these pests and then leaving me on read when I ask questions about their rules isn’t standard proceedings.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
californiascape said:
To all the people speculating above that it was pesticides, BucePlant specifically told me they DON’T use pesticides for that exact reason. Now, they might have not told the truth, but I’d think that they would.

They left me on read the last time I questioned their reliability and asked about their quality control rules. Sketchy... I still can’t believe that mites crawled out of my plants. Not to mention, between the 6 plants I ordered I got hydra, 2 kinds of snails, dragonfly larvae, water fleas, and some algae.

Maybe it would be jumping to conclusions in this shrimp death scenario, but it’s no doubt that BucePlant is being shady over their quality control. Giving me all these pests and then leaving me on read when I ask questions about their rules isn’t standard proceedings.
That will definitely make me think again when it comes to ordering from them. Shame that they have so many of the hard to find plants but it's not worth it if the plants are coming with every aquatic pest known to science.

MissPanda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Some times we learn hard lessons, I added plants to my aquarium and brought in ich and pest snails. I never used to quaranteen plants, but now I will be.

As a business they should be aware of what is used on their plants from suppliers so they can fully disclose to their customers. How can the company deny it's their fault when they themselves admit to not knowing what their own suppliers to do the plants? Not good business practice in my opinion. If I were that business owner I would have contacted the supplier to find out for certain. Them not knowing is a poor excuse, they should know since it's their company and name selling the product.

BettaNgold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I would at least insist on my money back. Most reputable dealers fee it without having to be asked. They are off of “Go To” list for plants. I appreciate the warning.

tuffcookie

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was actually looking for a place to buy plants online just this week since the selection is bigger than my LFS, buceplant was one with good prices but I avoided it. I remember there were some really bad reviews compared to the other sites I was looking at when I was doing research.

And one specifically was them bickering with an upset customer. I’m sure there are some really annoying customers but a business should never be rude.

I ended up deciding to go with Aquarium Plant Factory if I were to buy online. And someone from Etsy for frogbits

Sorry to hear about your shrimp, but thanks for sharing tho, I’ll never buy from them now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom