Terrestrial plant ideas

Kribensis27

I have a nice, established, bioactive dart frog vivarium. It looks great, up until the top three inches. I haven’t been able to find a plant that will grow in the dark corner and along the top without shading out everything else. Should I just fill the bright parts with mini orchids and tillandsia and hope the pothos covers up the ugly darker patches? If you guys know of any plants I can stick up in a dark corner that stays small, I would love to hear ideas. It can be terrestrial or epiphytic, it’s humid enough in here that either will work. I’ve grown all sorts of terrestrial stuff up on the background, so any plant can work. The red circles are the areas that need to be filled.

AcornTheBetta

Kribensis27 said:
I have a nice, established, bioactive dart frog vivarium. It looks great, up until the top three inches. I haven’t been able to find a plant that will grow in the dark corner and along the top without shading out everything else. Should I just fill the bright parts with mini orchids and tillandsia and hope the pothos covers up the ugly darker patches? If you guys know of any plants I can stick up in a dark corner that stays small, I would love to hear ideas. It can be terrestrial or epiphytic, it’s humid enough in here that either will work. I’ve grown all sorts of terrestrial stuff up on the background, so any plant can work. The red circles are the areas that need to be filled.
Maybe some Bromeliads?

Kribensis27

AcornTheBetta said:
Maybe some Bromeliads?
I just can’t find any that are small enough to not look out of place. I’ve tried some mini neoregelias, but they just look a bit “chunky” compared to everything else. Got any other suggestions?

Flyfisha

Dead spagham moss looks ok if you can’t get living spagham moss.

Have you tried Java moss?
I was surprised how I could take some out of an aquarium and have it grow.

Taking a photo from far enough away gives the impression that I am doing the work that needs to be done to keep these things looking good.

AcornTheBetta

Kribensis27 said:
I just can’t find any that are small enough to not look out of place. I’ve tried some mini neoregelias, but they just look a bit “chunky” compared to everything else. Got any other suggestions?
Maybe Ficus Pumila 'Quercifolia'? A Serpadesign favorite. Or maybe some Hypnum moss.

Kribensis27

The dead sphagnum is mostly just being used as a medium for the plants to root into. I actually have two types of moss growing in here, they just started out as very small patches. I’m slowly spreading it all around the tank.
AcornTheBetta said:
Maybe Ficus Pumila 'Quercifolia'? A Serpadesign favorite. Or maybe some Hypnum moss.
I have hypnum, and I use to have f. pumila ‘quercifolia’. It was a really nice plant, and I think it would look good there. Thanks!
Btw, love SerpaDesign!

Kribensis27

Ya know what? I’m gonna turn this thread into just a thing to post updates on the tank. It would be nice having all my good viv pics in one spot.

just rearranged some plants and added some of the manzanita I got for Christmas. I plan to also add some mourning geckos eventually, so the branches will be helpful.

Idk how to edit the title, so just imagine the name of this thread is "Kribensis27's vivarium" or something along those lines.
Wait hold up Coradee can you edit the title? TIA

Kribensis27

I ended up starting a new thread on this tank that goes into more detail on the inhabitants. If anybody's interested, here it is.

Sofiafish17

Your vivarium is GORGEOUS!

Kribensis27

Sofiafish17 said:
Your vivarium is GORGEOUS!
Thank you! It’s still definitely a work in progress, but I’m very happy with it so far.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom