Terracotta pots or other

rsutoratosu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have a 46 gallon guppy/Cory tank. Mostly bare, have Marimo balls and java moss

This is Xmas gift for my kids so my daughter wanted to put her hello kitty chia pet without the chia seed on it, into her tank. As far as I can tell/google. It's a terracotta pot. Anything I need to worry about ? These doesn't affect ph or water levels do they ? I couldn't find any definite answer. Thanks for the help

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as there are no dyes, paints or the like you will be fine. Make sure there are no nooks and crannies that some unfortunate fish can crawl up in and get stuck on.

I had a waterfall decoration in my aquarium and the fish would try to crawl up it and get stuck.

Viriam Karo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the pot has a little hole in the bottom you MAY want to knock the bottom out entirely, as sometimes fish (like cories) will try to swim through the little hole and get stuck.

Incidentally, how are your cories doing in a bare bottom tank? Or is there enough moss for them to dig through?

rsutoratosu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think there's enough. I have several marimo and lots of java moss that I see them crawl through. Short video of them today. Rush out to pediatrician for kids today. Less time to look at the fish
http://youtu.be/zC17TYTQTBI

JRC3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I knock out the bottoms and then round the sharp edges with a wire wheel on mu bench grinder.

Sometimes when breaking out the bottom the rest of the pot will crack...These halves are even better for caves.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I use a good bit of terracotta in my 265g tank. I love it and the fish love it too, so it seems.

You can plug holes using Aquarium Safe Silicone and rocks. I would do this before I tried to knock out the bottoms.

Ken

rsutoratosu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the one the kids wants to use.

Bottom is solid no opening. Just little hole on top.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom