Terra cotta ???

1. l

lucky318 New Member Member

Hey everybody went to lowes today to pick up clay pot Saures so I could make caves for my pleco, the label says terra cotta when I began chipping away at them theirs a thin layer of what looks like normal terra cotta then a inner layer of gray clay. Iam not quit sure are these safe to use? Is it really that expensive to make solid Terra cotta? I soaking them in hot water and prime.

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I'm not really sure. The terra cotta pots I got from Lowe's were red all the way through. Were they unglazed pots? That is the best kind to use. My husband cut them in half for me to use as caves. I'm sure someone will be along with a good answer for you.

3. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Terracotta is really just cooked clay, of any color. However there are times where the clay pot is painted over to have that orange color that people expect and plant lovers seem to appreciate, and that's what I'd worry about. Someone with more experience on using these in aquariums will most certainly chime in, but in my horticulture I tried to stay away from painted pots. The paint often took away the porosity and the pots didn't wet the same way.

All that to say, if it's paint I would go get some somewhere else-- maybe if you have a plant store somewhere. If it's a layer of clay one color over clay of another, I'll wait for the others to give their advice. I've never seen that before. :)

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

As long as they're unglazed they should be fine. I've currently got about 6 various pots in a 55g that look like that on the inside. Don't forget to sand or file any sharp edges! ;)

5. OP
    OP
    l

lucky318 New Member Member

It doesn't seem to be painted, it looks like the inner shell been dipped in liqued terra cotta.

Attached Files: