terra Cotta/Clay flower pots safe ?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Vince66, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Vince66

Vince66Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    I had some ideas for using terra cotta or clay flower pots from home depot and using them in my african cichlid tank. They make great places for these fish to hide. I was wondering are they safe for the fish ? Has anyone ever used them before or know or their saftey for aquarium use ?

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    As long as you get the unglazed, unpainted ones then they are safe. You'll see several members including myself use them as caves

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    Alot of members use these in there tanks, myself included. I just gave mine a rinse and a scrub with a brush before use. Also if you break them or cut them to make holes make sure you sand the sharp edges and save your fish from an injury.

:;nin2 AP's too fast.

4. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    2 years
    I use them in my tanks also. And PVC pipe works good too, although I don't know if the BB would stick to that as good as it does the terra cotta.

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good afternoon,

I also use a lot of terracotta in my tanks. They are porous and house beneficial bacteria needed to help sustain the tanks cycle. Great hiding places for many types of fish. Good tips above by other members.

Simply sand any rough spots, rinse them off and put them in your tank. I like the aged look and I never clean my terracotta. Not just because of the look but to save the beneficial bacteria too. The more they age the better they look in my opinion.

If you have fish small enough to get stuck in the hole in the bottom of the pot, you can use aquarium silicone and a rock and stick it on. Let the silicone cure according to what is suggested on the label.

Ken