Tequila Splitfin Journal! (zoogoneticus Tequila)

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Today I got a trio of tequila splitfin goodeids in the mail This fish is probably extinct in the wild, so its continued existence depends entirely on dedicated hobbyists...needless to say, this is a spawning project Here's some pictures!

8B97BB76-A51E-476F-9EEB-BA3ECBCE531C.jpeg

130477C0-60D0-41FE-B889-3AC319C8B6E9.jpeg

I will try to update this every week. Thanks for looking!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice I hope they do well for you & produce lots of fry

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A couple of years ago a friend of mine, Pat Hartman, took part in the effort to repopulate the type location with this species. He traveled to Mexico and helped release several hundred fish. This 4 year reintroduction project has the participation of multiple universities and almost every hobbyist group that studies Goodeids, as well as several zoological organizations. All total, over a dozen organizations took part in the effort to restore these fish to their native habitat. The last report, from 2017, says that so far it has been a success.

More information can be obtained at the goodeidworkinggroup.com.

This species was only described in 1998, from a specimen collected in 1955. I spawned this fish in 1994, when it was only known as the "Crescent Zoogie". A lot of Goodeids were around the local clubs in those days because Dr. Robert Rush Miller was breeding them at the University of Michigan, and gave several species to Jim Langhammer, a true legend of the hobby. Crescents were not widely distributed, as they were one of the more sensitive species. While they are not as sensitive as they were back then, like all goodeids they like clean water.

Good luck. Bear in mind that they are very sensitive to water pollution, especially ammonia - keep up your water changes!!! They have short guts, and therefore are presumed to be carnivorous.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi again everyone! I was so busy with my recent banded bushfish spawn that I didn't pay much attention to the splitfin's behavior until today. Anyhow...they are adjusting well. They got a 40% water change yesterday along with two of my other tanks (the bushfish tank was the only one I did not change due to fears of disrupting the bubblenest) and today I noticed that the male is vigorously courting (and possibly mating) with the females. Of course, it will likely be at least two months before I see whether it was fruitful...but that may not be a bad thing with the (probably massive) bushfish spawn I am currently contending with

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom