Temps for Ich

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
it's velvet, not ich!!

I slacked off on my cleaning duties some (changed water still but wasn't vaccuming as much) for the past month :-[ then Thomas died, sitting overnight (found him in the morning) in the tank. Now I am seeing my remaining 3 boys a bit more lethargic and the 2 crowntails have specks I have been vaccuming the gravel and doing 30% water changes every day for the past couple days, and raised the heater as high as it can go - but it has only brought the temp to 82. I know 82 is the bottom of the range - should I get another heater so I can get the temp up to about 84? Or is 82 sufficient?

They are getting NovAqua (for slime coating), Amquel plus, and vita chem every water change, and also giving them garlic soaked pellets every other day.

eta: the heater is a 50 watt Stealth in a 15 gallon tank

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The temp should really be up at 86 for the full 2 weeks if you can get it that high. 84 would also be OK, but get it if you possibly can, it will get rid of the ich.

Combine the heat with twice weekly gravel vacs to pick up any spores and you'll get rid of it. Just make sure the temp stays up for 2 full weeks, the last thing you want is a recurrence. I don't get those heaters where I am, so I cannot advise further on that I'm afraid...

Good luck!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

So hate to hear about your fish loss and the fact that you are dealing with ICH. I agree with TigerFishy. If you can get another heater that will raise your tanks temperature to 86 then I would.

Some ICH is resistant to temperatures of 82 and that's why I recommend going to 86 degrees.

Best wishes for your fish and please keep us posted. Too, remember that warmer water requires more oxygen so an air stone/supply line may be necessary.

Ken

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
it's velvet!

after doing some reading, I am sure it's not ich, but velvet. it's not so much spots as it is a gold dusting everywhere. I took off the tank lights, and whren I head out for a heater will also grab some coppersafe and maracyn two. is there anything else I should know/do?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads