Temporary Overstock

1. immortaladdiction Initiate Member

Hi all, I am worried about my babies as I am going to have to put my large tank in storage temporarily while we find a more permanent home. It should only be for a month or two tops, but I will have to fit 40 (compatible) fish into a 20 gallon tank. I will be using my 90 gallon filter with the setup in an effort to keep the bio load down. Do you think this is going to negatively affect them? Any input is welcome. Please keep in mind I know this isn't ideal, but we are in a position where we are forced to move, and have to be in temporary housing for a month or two. I don't want to have to give them up!

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

Depends on what kind of fish you have. Just follow the basics for overstocking: Plenty of water changes, keeping feeding to a minimum, and watch carefully for aggression. You said they're compatible fish, but since it's a small space I wouldn't put it past any of the fish to show agitation. As for feeding, once a day or every other day and clean out any extra that falls to the bottom. As long as you work hard enough, your tank will be fine until you can upgrade it :)

3. immortaladdiction Initiate Member

Thank you! The nice thing is that once we have our permanent housing I will be able to set up the individual tanks again. It's just not feasible to set up the large tank in a temporary space. We will be going from a house, to a 1 bdrm condo before we end up in a place that we can set up normally.

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

One thing that might might MIGHT help, is (Maybe I'm not sure) to (Have no idea if it'll work) pour a (Probably won't do anything) bottle of (Or maybe it will help?) TSS in there. By adding more beneficial bacteria, it might help keep the cycle from getting too overwhelmed. The bottles don't hold every kind of good bacteria for a proper cycle in them, but it MAY help. Possibly. At least a little bit. :;dk

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I agree with Nicoldeme on the frequent water changes. I'm not sure what water conditioner you use but what would also help is having Seachem Prime on hand to detox any rising ammonia you might see. That will at least keep your fish safe for up to 1ppm for 24 hrs.

Do you own a liquid test kit? I would check parameters every few days to take the necessary actions, i.e. more water changes, dose more Prime, etc.

6. immortaladdiction Initiate Member

Thank you for the suggestions! I do use Prime exclusively for water conditioning, and my current parameters are excellent. I have very healthy and happy fish! And yes I do have an API test kit, and will be checking regularly. I also use the seachem ammonia monitor that suctions to the inside of the tank. I was thinking about bottling some of the current tank water to take with for refilling the tank in the hopes that the bacteria will come with. The good part is I'm only moving the tank about 10 blocks, so I should be able to move everything over fast enough to keep it alive.

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

The water doesn't hold any bacteria. Instead, I would move the original filter, filter media, gravel and any decor.

8. Nicoldeme Member Member

When you leave, dismantle the tank and pull out all the gravel. Keep it wet throughout the move, so bacteria will survive. Do the same with the filter and decorations, that way most of the bacteria may be able to survive. Also, do bring some of the original water with you, as where you're going may have different water, and when refilling the tank with new water, the different chemistry may shock your bacteria as well as your fish.
    When you put the tank back up, add a bottle of TSS, so if a lot of your bacteria died in the move, you'll have a jump start on a new cycle. If you have any friends nearby with tank similar to yours, maybe you can have them take a few of your fish, then once your tank has cycled and is ready, you can slowly introduce the fish to your tank as you would if it were new. It would be best to treat your tank as if it were newly set up, as basically it is.