Temporary hiding.

1. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Hey well as some people may know im changing my tank around quite a bite getting rid of the old fish putting new ones in, redecorating, ect.

I wasn't planning on starting for awhile but my gourami suddenly died and I'm going to add a dwarf platy now (is going to be in the final setup)

So what is a good cheap thing i could use for temporary couver?

Thanks,

Phil :)

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

If your planning on changing everything again it would be better if you wait until the aquascaping is done before you add any new fish. The less you have to worry about while doing the scaping the better. It's not like you won't be able to get the Platys later on. If your dead set on getting the fish now, then a few plastic plants would be the cheap way to go.

3. OP
    OP
    p

The problem is it may be awile before i can get some more fish (im kind of short on a job atm) would a piece of pcp pipe work?

4. Nutter

Yes a couple of pieces of new PVC pipe will work though the fish might regard them with a fair amount of suspicion to start with. Perhaps you can find some suitable rocks or bits of dead wood in your yard that will be ok for your tank?

5. OP
    OP
    p

I live in the middle of the woods so that's not an issue so do I just throw it into a bucket until it's waterlogged and check the pH to make sure it's ok?

6. Nutter

Make sure wood is dead but not rotting. It must be solid timber, no sap & no bark. Would be wise to boil it for at least 10 mins or at least pour boiling water over the top of it. Give it a good scrub with a nylon scrubbing brush then boil it again. Throw it in a bucket to water log it if it doesn't sink already. Tannins released from the wood are what can lower the PH. You can either soak or boil most of them out before adding the wood to your tank or you can add carbon to the filter or do frequent water changes to limit the effects on the PH & the discolouration of the water.

Rocks should be given a good scrub & checked for metalic veins or flecks. Reject any with signs of metals. Boil rocks for 5 mins then add to your tank when they are cooled. Monitor the GH & KH to make sure the water parameters are not changing.

7. OP
    OP
    p

Ahhhh thanks thats helpfull!