Temporary Angelfish Tank

xPhish
Hello, I am very new to the hobby. Just set up my first tank in my college dorm about a month ago and it’s going well. I recently decided to get a second tank (10 gallon tall) and was wondering if it was possible to put 1 angelfish and 5-6 cardinal tetras in it. I understand that generally angelfish need at least a 29 gallon tank but I am in a unique situation. Since I am moving out in 10 weeks I was thinking that if I got a small angelfish from petsmart he wouldn’t grow large enough to be uncomfortable. Then at the end of the 10 weeks I would be giving my fish back to petco. If this doesn’t work please let me know.

SouthAmericanCichlids
He won't get too big, but know that petco charges a fee to give fish back. But, you need to make sure your tank is cycled before you put the fish in.

xPhish
Thank you so much for the speedy response. I am planning on cycling the tank over spring break using media from my other tank. I also have a test kit so I won’t be adding any fish until the levels are correct. I didn’t know that petco did that...might try and give the fish to a local tropical store then. Hopefully they won’t charge.

DerekO24
I’ve given fish back to petco before that I used to cycle a tank, they didn’t charge me. I also give fish to my local mom n pop fish store and she gives me store credit

Papasmerf73
Am I missing something? Why do you want to get a fish for 10 weeks just to give it back?

xPhish
I just enjoy keeping them, they give me something interesting to look at while I’m studying and I enjoy caring for them. If I weren’t at college and had my own place I would be keeping them for longer.

SouthAmericanCichlids
DerekO24 said:
I’ve given fish back to petco before that I used to cycle a tank, they didn’t charge me. I also give fish to my local mom n pop fish store and she gives me store credit
Oh, that could of been petsmart than. Or it could be different from store to store, I don't know.

Madchild57
xPhish said:
I just enjoy keeping them, they give me something interesting to look at while I’m studying and I enjoy caring for them. If I weren’t at college and had my own place I would be keeping them for longer.
Get some kind of dwarf cichlid, like an apisto, they may not look like the angels but they have that cichlid intellegence and they'll give you a lot to look at. And you get to keep it after the 10 weeks, because it's very easy to get attached to fish that interact with you.

Noroomforshoe
Small angel fish are schooling fish, He will likely not be happy to be alone and The stress could kill it, or start an ich outbreak that kills everything in the tank. Please consider a betta fish, or guppies, or a school of galaxy rasbora, or somthing suited for a small tank.

FishAndDoom
Apistos aren't suitable for a ten, IMO. They are social fish and wouldn't like being alone, just like the angel.

If you want some color and activity in a 10, please just get a single betta or a couple of male guppies. It isn't very fair to the fish to put them in a bad situation like this. It's not like they have a choice in the matter. It is up to us as the fishkeeper to make sure that they are cared for in an appropriate situation.

Madchild57
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Appistos really need a larger tank. How about scarlet badis, a betta, killis, or a paradise fish.
Huh I didn't know that, thanks for the correction. I have mine in a 55 so I never really needed to know what their minimum is.

xPhish
Madchild57 said:
Get some kind of dwarf cichlid, like an apisto, they may not look like the angels but they have that cichlid intellegence and they'll give you a lot to look at. And you get to keep it after the 10 weeks, because it's very easy to get attached to fish that interact with you.
I would but I cannot take the fish back with my across the country this summer so unfortunately they all have to go to a different home. I love the look of apistos though and will think about them in the future for a larger more long term tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom