Temperature Over 95f, Dead Fish

Demeterite
I went out of town for 3 days. I came home to three things:

1. Baby mystery snails EVERYWHERE in a tank that hasn't had any snails in it in over 2 weeks and from which I'd removed all egg clusters... I thought.
  2. A dead platy who had previously been super healthy and another super finned (the other 2 adults and 7 adolescents all appear fine)
  3. A tank temperature around 96F

I'm assuming no. 3 caused no. 2.

Whole I was out of twto the weather was mostly rainy, not too hot, and the heating vent in my room is covered so I check the heater...Much to my dismay the heater was turned way up. I have NO idea how unless a pesky cat knocked into it.

I changed it to the lowest setting just now and opened a window next to the aquarium. It's about 60F outside.

Anything else I can do?

Any lasting effects I should expect?

75g Discus Tank
Do a WC.
This will lower the water temp. Don’t do it too quickly as it can’t shock the fish.

Demeterite
Do a WC.
This will lower the water temp. Don’t do it too quickly as it can’t shock the fish.

Realistically, a water change tonight would be almost impossible for me. I have to carry it down two flights of stairs and I'm absolutely exhausted from traveling all day.

That being said, if the temperature doesn't drop in the next hour I will consider it.

75g Discus Tank
Do you have an6 water bottles in your refrigerator?
Or any cold water bottles?

If you float them on the tank(but not dumping in water) it could cool the tank down a bit,

Chris Osborne
Put a fan blowing on the surface if a water change isn't available.

Demeterite
Do you have an6 water bottles in your refrigerator?
Or any cold water bottles?

If you float them on the tank(but not dumping in water) it could cool the tank down a bit,

No water bottles but I did have these...

If my roommates ask where the rum has gone I'll point them to this thread!

IMG_20180329_003151.jpg

Hunter1
Sabotage

Demeterite
We're down to 86!

Lunnietic
A fan moving the surface of the water will help to cool it down as well.

Good luck!

Demeterite
We're down to safe levels. Should I expect any lasting effects on the fish remaining?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• lostbunny
  • Heater
Replies
Views
LyndaB
Replies
Views
Itiwhetu
Replies
Views
KBoot