Temperature Of New Water

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When doing water changes....how many degrees do you allow the new water to vary from the water in the tank.?

I seem to spend way too much time and money on running water trying to get the faucet water to be near exact the temp of the tank water.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am usually 2 to 3 degrees off ( usually higher ) MOST of the time when refilling the water. I am pretty sure its never exact as I use my feel for the water AND know where about on my faucet the lever is at when I am refilling. That said, its not been a problem in the past 6 years that I know of. I think warmer water initially is probably better than too cold, imho but who knows????

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Same here. I'm off by 2-3 degrees but my fish never had any issues with it. You do get the hang of where your levers need to be and the feel of where the temp should be after a few water changes.

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess I should relax a little and accept a couple degrees up or down

escapay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah it doesn't have to be exact. I try to have it similar but I just use my finger to compare temps and have them somewhat close.

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use a digital thermometer to try to get it exact as possible. I'm usually no more than 1 or 2 degrees off. You generally want to be within 3 plus or minus degrees.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just feel the tap, turn the hot on full and adjust the cold so it feels closeish. Then check the tank's temp every 5-10 minutes as it's filling. Then adjust if it gets below 75°F or above 82°F. As long as it's within that range then it's fine.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads