Temperature Not Rising?

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Yesterday I adjusted my heater up to 28° but the thermometer still reads 25°C (what it originally was) it's a 70g tank, could the size be why it's not heating? It's also winter here so about 15° outside. Don't really understand why the temp hasn't risen...

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How many watts is your heater?

3. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    How many watts is your heater and how large of a tank is this?
    Also, what's the temp inside your home?
    Some heaters are slightly off calibration. For example, the knob of one of my heaters reads 78 but the water temp is actually 75. This is very common for most heaters. It also depends on the other factors I originally stated.

4. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

It says it's a 300 watt heater and a 70g tank. It's 15-17°c inside @tokiodreamy @Aquaphobia

I also thought it might just be a little off, but when I had it set to 25, the thermometer read 25... it's only now that I try adjust it up that the magic doesn't seem to be happening o_O:joyful:

5. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I personally always suggest two heaters for larger tanks. One at each side of the tank.

Because you're trying to warm the tank to 10° more than the room temp, your heater could be struggling to heat the entire tank. What brand heater are you using? Is the thermometer on the same side of the tank as the heater or the opposite side?

6. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Minjiang is the brand, I got the heater with the tank when buying it off someone so I don't know too much about the heater, just what it says on it. The thermometer is next to the heater @tokiodreamy

7. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

I would add a second heater in to take the load off of the single unit.

8. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Great, thanks for the help guys! :)

9. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Did you try turning the dial up? All 3 of my heaters are off by a couple of degrees. I just adjust it until it reaches the right temp on the thermometer.

10. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

I can try turning it up some more I guess...

11. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

There's a chart I found online that basically has you figure out how many degrees above ambient temperature you need the tank to be and then tells you how many watts you need the heater to be. I can find the link if you need it. That might be the issue since I saw you said it was right on at a lower temperature.

12. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

What fish are in so 25C isn't high enough?

14. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

PM'd you :)

15. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

16. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

17. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Agree with whats been mentioned. But just realize. Changing the temp by 10' on a 70 gal tank will not happen overnight especially if the ambient room tamp is cooler. I would give it some more time (another day or 2). Then if needed you could add another heater. Does your tank have a lid? You'll lose heat quicker without a lid. Just offering ideas. Hope this helps.

18. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

It's been two days now and still hasn't risen a single degree... I have a lid but it has been off for a while as I've been doing some planting, I'll put it back on though- don't know why I didn't think of that:joyful: @jmaldo