Help Temperature Issue's & Next Fish Advice...

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've got a 210L tank with 6 Zebra Danio's & 3 Pepper Corydora's, I'm leaving my home in the morning with the tank temp at 24 degree's, but when I return in the evening its usually 2/3 degree's higher! Is this due to the heater not maintaining the heat or is it because I'm leaving the lights on when I'm at work?

Also I'm going to an Aquarium on sunday but cant decide what to get and how many I can get in one go (I see deals in the aquarium for 5 or 8 fish for a cheaper price etc). So far I started with 2 Danio's, waited a week and added 4, then after another week the 3 Corydora's. I cant decide between Cardinal Tetra's or guppy's, any suggestions are most welcome...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is your tank completely cycled? I see your note "just started" however there's no information regarding your water parameters. You may not be ready for fish, if your tank is not cycled.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the tank is 2/3 degree higher".

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
On top of Lynda's points.

What is your heater set at?
What type of thermometer are you using (glass or stick-on)?

Stick on thermometers are notorious for being inaccurate.

It seems a little odd to me that 210L would fluctuate 2-3 degrees in one day

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got a 210L tank with 6 Zebra Danio's & 3 Pepper Corydora's, I'm leaving my home in the morning with the tank temp at 24 degree's, but when I return in the evening its usually 2/3 degree's higher! Is this due to the heater not maintaining the heat or is it because I'm leaving the lights on when I'm at work?
There are several factors that can raise tank temperature. Is the ambient temperature in the room stable all day long? Try leaving the tank lights off one day when you go to work and see if that changes anything.

A properly working heater shouldn't be fluctuating the temperature, they have a thermostat in them so whatever temp it is set at it should stay at. However, if there are other factors like lighting that are raising the temp beyond what the heater is set at, then the heater just won't come on.

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cheers, I'll keep the lights off when I leave today to see if that helps. The room temperature generally stays the same, no direct sunlight either. Any recommendations on what other fish to go in the tank?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ARGH! Firefox ate my post!

If I haven't already, welcome to Fish Lore!

You have a lot of option with a tank this big.

Corys are schooling fish and should be in groups of at least 4. You could probably do a group of 10 total if you wanted.

Cardinal tetras are pretty but need to go into well-established tanks because they're sensitive, so wait on those. A school of 12 would be nice.

Guppies = fry, and lots of them. Do you want to deal with fry?

You could easily have another school of fish, like cherry or gold barbs. Or better yet, add to your school of danios.

A gourami, or angelfish, or ram cichlids (most dwarf cichlids actually) would be nice.

Check out the fish profiles on the Fish Lore main page and see what catches your eye. https://www.fishlore.com/

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Rigolle and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry for the delay, is there anyway to get an email when I get a reply?

The Temperature is set for 24 Degree's, the tank has 4 lights (2 white, 1 purple 1 blue), my better half thought she would try it with just the white lights on and it only raised by 0.5 degree's, so this problem I think has been solved, I didnt realise the lights would give off so much heat!

Thank you Kunsthure for the options, didnt realise that Corydora's were Schoolers, although that does make sense as they do follow eachother around and do try to join in with the Danio's (And visa versa), I have to say I'm abit frustrated sometimes with the lack of advice that is offered when in a fish shop, surely someone should say "Are you only getting 3? Did you know they like being in groups of 4 or more?".

Glad I found this website, I'm on it quite abit reading, but any advice is always welcome!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom