Temperature Issue

1. rt12 Member Member

I live in Texas and normally the winters here are pretty mild, but yesturday we had snow and the temperature is pretty low. Since the winters are normally mild I only have 3 200-300 watt heaters and a mini heater. Currently I'm using all minus one mormal heater and the mini one. I'm using one for my reef and the other for another freshwater tank that gets way to cold without one. But to my main question, I have 2 30 gallons an african cichlid tank and another with about 18 guppies in it. The tanks havent dropped below 68 degrees so I don't think I need a heater. I just want to hear some other opinions. Thank you for your help

2. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

I think you should be fine for the short term. But I would get some new heaters if it's suppose to be cold for a while.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

It's Texas, never "cold for a while" LOL.
    I think by the middle of the week, we're back to a high of 71.

4. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Oh yea. Sorry I'm just so used to talking to my east coasters LOL. You should be fine.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

68 is pretty darn cold for africans and guppies....they are tropical fish and 78 is best...IMO you could be facing ich issues with the temps that low and a temp that rises and falls, is a major ich magnet...they prefer a more stable temp...

6. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Like Shawnie mentioned it doesn't so much matter what temp you choose, although you should be about 8-10 degrees above 68 for Africans.

But you really should decide what temp you want and keep it stable for Africans, some other species it isn't such a big deal but for what you have it is.

I am sure you wouldn't take the heater off your reef tank for obvious reasons and I would suggest treating this tank the same.

Brian