temperature ideal for tropical fish

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi guys i know this might sound dumb but what should the ideal temperature of a tropical tank be mine i have set up is currently 77 c, there are no fish in at moment as we only set up tank yesterday any suggestions on this matter

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
"tropical" can be anywhere between 75-82 usually a good temp is about 77 or 78 F if your doubting or what a more specific temp. when your tank is cycled and you decide to add fish research the species and it will give you a specific range for that type of fish

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It depends on what species of fish you're planning on getting.
Ideal temps can range from mid 60's for goldfish to as high as 90's for discus...

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a very important question to ask BEFORE buying fish like has already been stated. This way you can do the research to determine not only what fish you want to own because of their temperament, size vs. your tank size, but also the water parameters which only one factor is temperature. Many tropical warm water fish may survive for a period of time, in slightly cooler water, but will be susceptible to deceases. Just like the fish that are happier at say 70 F might live at 80 but it would stress them. Good thinking.

Fish in the Frozen North.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish are not considered tropical fish they are classed as cool water fish.75F -approx 83F are tropical fish temps.
Carol

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I never knew goldfish were a seperate class of fish, but it makes sense... thanks.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome

gilly2402

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi guys thanks for all the input it really helped , tanks been up a week now so going to get water tested tommorrow at  pet shop which they say they will do it  for free,(maybe to say my levels are too high and need blah blah blah costing me a fortune) but just gonna test them for now to see if they actually want to help or just make moneyout of me. i think its worth finding out this coz really helpful and caring pet shops are hard to find, if anyone agrees plz let me know I'm not the only one with this scepticism....bye for now

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi all. i got home one night after work and sat down had a beer and after a while realised id not seen my plec swimming which was pretty odd for him, so i lifted lid and and put my hand in the tank and it was freezing. 'panic' what had happend was house mate unplugged wrong plug from socket at 11am ( almost 13 hrs earlier) and didnt plug it back in. so it was lucky i checked it otherwise im sure by the morning id have a few less fish swimming around. all made a full recovery. i now check every night that all is working :-*

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am sure you were in a panic. Tropical fish do best if their temperature is stable within a few degrees of their ideal. But most can survive with a drop of, say 20 degrees without dying. Many folks have experienced a broken heater etc.. and it may stress the fish, but by attending to it as soon as possible, it is usually not fatal.

This IS however a good time to point out that this is a good reason to invest in the largest tank you can afford. The water holds heat. A 10 gal tank will cool down quickly to room temperature or a little below, much quicker than a 125 gal tank will. Another thing you can do to insure stable water temp. , is to have large rocks in the tank (stabilized with rods and silicone. Rocks also hold heat. I speak from experience, because my home is NOT on an electric line. We use generator power, and it is shut off every night for 8 - 10 hours. Usually my tank temp. is 76 + F. In the morning it might have cooled down to 72F. We also burn wood to heat the house, and on two occasions since I have had the tank, we have had to go away for 2 or 3 days, with the heat off, and no electricity, the tank was at around 64 when we got home. I never did loose a fish. Now I am fully aware that these fluctuations in temp. can cause stress, and could have resulted in problems, all I am saying is that the best way to moderate all the stress factors in your tank is to have the biggest one you can.

Fish in the Frozen North

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi there, yea i have rocks etc in tank and plenty of driftwood, the plec was stressed he didnt move for his pellets which is unusual for him, its a 1.000 liters aquarium ( so big i can lie flat in iit, im just below 6ft) was glad to wake up to see 5yr old plec sucking on the glass ;D

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I read that after I posted, :-[ . Your tank should be able to hold heat for quite awhile! I'm glad your fish are ok.

Fish in the Frozen North

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom