Temperature Going Up.

Discussion in 'Temperature' started by Zoomo, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Zoomo

Zoomo Well Known Member Member

Mods, sorry, looked for an appropriate subforum to put this in but could not decide where it should go as it is not really about heaters. Please move to where you see appropriate and thank you.

So, where I live, the weather went from say 40's last week to where yesterday it was 81 degrees here. My tanks yesterday read 81, today they read 83 and change, Bettas, but think that is a bit too high, unless treating ick. I lowered them a bit, but they are on lower than 80 (the arrow thingy on the heaters), so not sure where the heat is coming from. But, at what point do heaters get shut off? It is so hot here these past 2 days, it is sickening. In dead of summer, I run AC 2/47, so maybe leave them in?

2. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

What heater do you have? They should have an automatic shutoff point after a certain temp (usually whatever you set it to)

3. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

They are both Aqueon® Submersible Aquarium Heaters, and they were set to 80 degrees, but they always go up a tiny bit, but with the heat, they were up 3 pushing 4 degrees. These heaters have worked great all winter long so I do not think it is the heaters.

4. Buganjimo

Maybe then set the temp 3-4 degrees below what you want it to be, so when the heat pushes it up, it’ll be a normal temperature.

5. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

That is what I did. Will just keep an eye on it, I guess. Thank you.

6. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

I was wondering what size of tanks and what wattage of heater, plus what is the ambient temperature in the room?

Just to put your mind at ease, a few days over 80 will not harm your Bettas - long term, yes, but a few days should be okay.

The reason for my tank/heater/ambient temp question is that it's possible your current heaters were struggling to get the temp up to where it needed to be, and now that the ambient temperature is higher they are easily pushing the temp up - and don't believe where it's set on the heater. I have 9 of them, with 6 different kinds/brands and the only one that is calibrated/accurate is the Flual eHeater (it's digital).

I have a digital thermometer I got off Amazon, the kind you use for meat or candy, and I've seen some of my tanks read several degrees differently in different parts of the tank.

Heaters, while necessary, are the fiddliest part of my set ups. Drives me nuts!

PS It's snowing/freezing rain here - I am jealous of your weather.

Edited to add: One last question, do you actually see the heater cycling on and off even when you set the temperature down?

7. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

They are 5.3 ish gallon tanks, 50 watt heaters, and no idea what the ambient temperature is other than HOT. I am not a girl who likes heat, period, so I'm miserable currently. They are saying it might snow Monday/Tuesday here, but it is sweltering right now. I am moving to Antarctica. In the snail tank, 5 gallons, I have an old crappy one and I have that one down to 74 and the digital thermometer reads a bit over 80. All 3 tanks have digital thermometers.

No I do not see the heaters cycling on and off because they are in the back of the tanks behind the wall where the filter goes.

Jut checked all 3. Snail one says 81 and change. One of the betta tanks says 81 and change and the other says 82 and changes, so moved that heaters arrow thing down a notch or 2. I am literally dripping sweat today. Really about to put ACs on but I have to close the windows to do that and I have no energy, the heat is sapping it.

8. Buganjimo

50watts is kind of overkill for a 5 gallon tank, imo a 25 watt is sufficient. Maybe thats why it’s so overheated?

You’re over there complaining about the heat, we’re having an ice storm over here. Freeking canda... ice storm in April.

9. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Thanks, but when I started all this I bought 25 w and had zero luck with them keeping the temperature or even working at all on the the 25 watts ones that I bought. In fact, the one in the snail tank is 25 watts and that is the one that I have set at 74 degs but it is heating to the 80s. So, asked around on a few forums and was told and recommended these heaters and was assured 50 watts would be fine, so that is what I bought and they have worked fine all winter. I just think the room is too hot. It is supposed to cool down tonight HOPEFULLY. I dunno by my hand feel, hey do not feel 80s, the water. What do I know. My hand is very hot though. Do you guys keep your heaters in the tanks in the summer and just count on them to shut off when not needed?

10. Buganjimo

So 50watts seems fine then, keep those. Maybe try unplugging the heater just to see what temp it stays at and if the heat from your room is sufficient.

It doesn’t get too hot over here so I leave the heaters in and they keep it at a good temp. But to be fair my tanks are in my basement which gets pretty cold no matter what.

11. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Welp, currently weather is 40, calling for 1-3 inches of snow tonight. Weirdest weather ever. I literally had the air conditioner on for 2 days, 81 maybe higher.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice