Temperature flux

1. Wildside Member Member

Hi!

Summer's sort of finally arrived in my part of the world and this has brought with it a problem I've never had before. Although the outside temperature's not all that hot in the scheme of things (24°C roughly) it seems to be over heating my tanks.

I've actually unplugged the heater in my 40gal which now varies between 24°C and 26°C. I was wondering if this is acceptable for fishes or if I need to try and do something to regulate the temperature.

Thanks,

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Depends what fish you have, please list your stocking.

If it's goldfish then that's too much but if it's tropical fish that's likely within their range, with a few exceptions.

3. Wildside Member Member

It's a community tank currently housing: 2 Rainbow cichlids, 7 guppies, 9 neon tetra, 2 hillstream loaches, 1 nerite snail and half a dozen other snails.

I was most concerned about the hillstreams considering that they're rather sensitive but they seem to be enjoying this temperature variation.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The temp is too high for the loaches. They need cooler, well oxygenated water.

5. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

The thing to remember is in nature temperatures fluctuate greatly in non-tropical waters so goldfish (carp) can tolerate 40 up to 80's. I am starting a pond (I'm in the Midwest) and am finding my water ranges from upper 60's to low 80's in a 24 hour period this time of year. At first I was concerned but had to remember they are in fact part of the carp family, a cold water fish but are adapted to the wide variety of variations in nature.

Warm water fish would have a much narrower range of tolerance but I would "think" there would be a 5 degree variation that would be sustainable throughout a year.

6. Wildside Member Member

Okay. So what can I do to stabilize their temperature? Is it possible that my thermometer is malfunctioning? Sometimes it reads the water temperature as being higher than the room temp.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you have a heater in the tank, it could very well be higher than the room temp...

But it is possible that your thermometer is inaccurate.

8. Wildside Member Member

Well, I unplugged the heater when I started reading temperatures of 26-27°C so I doubt it's that. I need to find a way of testing my thermometer because it's hard to believe that the water can be that warm when it's gone back to being cool-ish here.