Temperature Fluctuations

BettaBabies

Hello all,
I have a 20 gallon high, that I’ve been putting iced water bottles and frozen ice packs into to keep cool. Because I have golden white clouds, I try to keep the temperature at 72°. Sometimes if I leave the house to go to work and forget to put more iced bottles in, the tank temp fluctuates more than I’d like. It hits about 76.

Here is my question, how much is too much of a temperature fluctuation? Are these 4 degrees too much for one day?

Best Answer - View Pfrozen's answer

Pfrozen

Well Known
BettaBabies said:
Hello all,
I have a 20 gallon high, that I’ve been putting iced water bottles and frozen ice packs into to keep cool. Because I have golden white clouds, I try to keep the temperature at 72°. Sometimes if I leave the house to go to work and forget to put more iced bottles in, the tank temp fluctuates more than I’d like. It hits about 76.

Here is my question, how much is too much of a temperature fluctuation? Are these 4 degrees too much for one day?
The temperature range for white clouds is pretty large and the page for it here on fishlore specifically says no heater is required. However, 76 is definitely above their ideal range. I dont think the fluctuations bother them as much as the warmth of the water. You might have to consider a longer term solution! Some people here have said that a simple desktop fan blowing across the water helps lower their tank temperatures by several degrees but I haven't tried it myself. Good luck and keep us updated! :D

Katie993

If you have a lid on your tank, you might try taking it off (I have no experience with white clouds so I don't know if they're jumpers) or getting a screen lid. It'll allow more heat to escape and the desk fan mentioned above is a great idea.

New Threads