Temperature fluctuations during a water change.

AndyP

Let me start by saying that I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, so I don't live in the south. I just did a 50% water change. I cool my house to 75°F. I keep the aquariums at 78°F. My tap water is 82°F.

After a 50% water change, my tank is at 81°F. Is going up 3°F in 15 minutes terrible for the fish?

Revan

Let me start by saying that I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, so I don't live in the south. I just did a 50% water change. I cool my house to 75°F. I keep the aquariums at 78°F. My tap water is 82°F.

After a 50% water change, my tank is at 81°F. Is going up 3°F in 15 minutes terrible for the fish?
I would think it depends on the fish. Hardy fish probably could handle the change, but creatures like shrimp don't do well with fluctuations like that.

jtjgg

usually its not a problem.

86 ssinit

It’s usually not a problem. The temp will go down.

ProudPapa

It would probably be okay, but if you're concerned here's an idea. After removing the 50% of the water, replace half of that, wait an hour or so for the temperature to stabilize, then fill the tank.

SparkyJones

I live in the south, I run my tanks 76F in the summer and don't breed at that time, reason being I raise my tanks to 82-83F for breeding, and if I water change even 20% I get a 5 degree increase and I don't want to push them that far out of "comfortable range" out to 87 or higher, it drops back down in a few hours but I'll get 81-82F for a couple hours from a water change, my tap water must be hotter than that even.

the real answer here though is smaller more frequent water changes instead of big ones at least during the hot periods, I just know with the fish I keep and the way i've always done it, they can handle the 5 degrees as long as I don't have them sitting at the top of their limit and push it past it.

there are individuals of species like carp and goldfish that can get problems from drastic swings like in start of spring or end of fall and can get health issues from it , stress and lowered immune systems that opens them up to nasty problems. Also I'd think neon and cardinal tetras will have a problem, since they have a problem with just about everything. Also fast water fish that need higher dissolved oxygen seem not to do well at warmer temps where dissolved O2 is lower.

So, yes, it can be problematic for individuals or a species or certain species of fish, smaller changes more frequently would be a better choice when it's like that. Depends on the species you are keeping.

Depending on how you do water changes you could make up a tray of dechlorinated ice cubes and float one until it melts when doing water changes to offset the temp rise, or you could fill a liter or two liter or gallon jug with water and freeze it if using buckets for water changes and stick that in the bucket to lower the temp before adding it to the tank and it should drop the temp pretty quick then top it for displacement from the ice bottle to get it the temp you want it to be.

Lots of options really. what you don't want is it getting too high out of the fishes normal temp ranges too quick. then they can stress and struggle for oxygen. but within range, like a heat wave, or a flash thunderstorm would quickly raise or drop temp of the water a few degrees, they can handle that if it's within the range without stress from it.

FishDin

Here's what works for me. I have 4 tanks kept at 3 different temps; one at 78F, two at 74F and one that ranges from 65-80F depending on the season. I have one reservoir for my water change water that I keep at 74F. I do weekly 50% water changes in all tanks with that water. Never had a problem. Some of my fish are over 10yrs old and going strong.

If I want my plecos to breed I do a big "cold" water change. Maybe they start breeding because they think they are going to die, but I think it's because it simulates the breeding season conditions. Or so I was told by a pleco breeder. This doesn't seem to bother the community fish that live with them either.

As SparkyJones said, "Depends on the species you are keeping."

AndyP

The fish seem OK now and are quite happy with the water change. Usually in the summer, my tap water is below 80°F. But with the unusual heat is obviously messing with the water temp in the pipes.

TeeSki

I have run into this with very frequent tank changes for a large Black Moor in a 10g QT tsnk. I now use my tank thermometer at the tap to match the water temp, then don't turn off the tap between gallon pitchers.

Monday, Gorgeous George was corner sitting after a change, first time. I had inadvertently raised the temp 4 degrees and the stress got him. Today, just prior to PraxiPro, I did a 90% WC (George was in a 2 gallon bucket of tank water with an air bubbler) I got the tank too cooler enough using the thermometer. I left the tank be until it hit 82,because we are working our way back down from 86° ich Temps. I removed 4cups (one quart) and added hoy water. It hit 82, it stayed, I put George back and Georgie Porgie is happy as a clam.

Water Temps can shock fish. Nothing that should have killed this rescue has, so far, but I'm finding new tricks to minimize the shock.

Also: about 1 mo th under my belt, now managing 2 tanks, one regular, one hospital. This site is the bomb-diggity!

bd323

I have a 54 gallon corner tank. I do weekly water changes of about 15 gallons. When refilling the tank I use an airline type hose to my kitchen sink and measure temp with a Hanna thermometer in the tank as I fill. I keep my tank at around 78. I start filling and adjust the faucet to keep temp where I want it and now allow new water to raise/lower tank. This has been working well for 5 years

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KingJade
Replies
Views
ShimmeryLuna
  • Question
Replies
Views
Katie993
Replies