Temperature fluctuation in my tank Question

Discussion in 'Temperature' started by VeeSe, May 11, 2011.

1. VeeSe

VeeSeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hey FishLore,

So I noticed that my tank temp drops to 76 degrees overnight and ends up at ~77 degrees during the day. Should I be concerned about the quality of my heater? It's the AGA one that came in the Aqueon tank kit.

2. catsma_97504

catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +177
    Naw, there will always be a fluctuation in temperatures since the room temp is a factor. If your tank bottoms out at 76F, you may want to push it up a degree or two, depending on the fish you'll be keeping.

I set my heaters to a level that maintains a minimum temperature. And, I don't worry about the daytime high temp unless it gets too excessive. As I do not have AC, I have to turn down the heaters and even take steps to cool my smaller tanks.

3. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,778
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have the stick-on digital thermometers and they vary in their readings according to the room temperature as that also influences the temperature of the glass which is what they are measuring.

These thermometers are only a guide and temperature is best taken accurately with a good quality thermometer.

4. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,207
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    VeeSe, remember that a heater will only prevent the water temperature from going below the temp the heater is set for.

The heater has no ability to help on the up side. So if you have your heater set for 76 degrees and the room the tank is in gets to be 80 degress, the water temp would eventually rise to 80 degress. But if the room temp dropped to 60 degrees, you heater should prevent the water from going below 76 degrees.

5. OP
    OP
    VeeSe

VeeSeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi jdhef. I do realize the heater can't cool the tank and completely regulate the temperature, but it's weird because I've seen my heater turn on when the tank is at like 77.3 degrees, so it's weird that it drops to 76 sometimes.

6. Lexi03

Lexi03Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Experience:
    1 year
    Where is the themometer in relationship to the heater? Maybe one part of the tank is cooler than the other? Also maybe it drops to 76 while the heater catches up? Either way I wouldn't worry.

7. djsmiley2k

djsmiley2kValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Temp fluxuations are normal in nature, it only becomes a problem if they are too rapid/extreme.... a degree at night doesn't seem too extreme for my tetras who are pefectly happy. So I've left my heater as it is...

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Water/Temperature section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

Become a Fishlore Member