Temperature and ratio of males/females

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Betta Whisperer, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Ok so always the Curios George that I am I wondering something. I have had three batches of Betta fry. In all batches I have has 3-4 males and the rest 40-50 females. They were all in water temps of 80-82. I'm wondering what the ratio of males to females are in different water temps. in fish. Like alligators if the temps is one temp when the embryos are developing all babies are male. But if the temp is different then all babies are female. I'm going to try my own experiment. I Have a pair waiting in the wings. I'm going to keep the temp down to about 74-76 to see what the ratio is of there fry. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Have I fallen off my rocker yet?LOL

2. critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

that is something I have wondered about too... seems like a good possibility to me

3. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Well that's what I'm thinking too. I'm determend to find out. Will keep everyone posted. Dang it will take sooooo long to find out. Don't even have the pair together yet then it's another 4 months to see what they develope into.GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Huh that is a good question Whisper....I await your results do post as soon as you know this sounds extreamly interesting! Best of Luck!

5. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

My spawns usually produce 60/40......60 being females....I have not noticed temps affecting this....We'll see how it goes in the CA water......I have 3 spawns right now too young to sex.....

6. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

HOLY MM. I just finished up my feedings for today and I'm exausted. You must go on until nidnight! You must need a lot of this :;co to keep going.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  7. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure how I keep up with it actually lol...It is a fulltime job that's for sure!

8. ShineWell Known MemberMember

I read an article somewhere about male/female ratios... someone did a study on it and supposedly had stats on why some batches were mostly males or females... I think it claimed it had something to do with the age of the males.... :;sh

I'll see if I can locate it again

9. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

That's very interesting. Let us know if you find it. Thanks.

10. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I suspect that temp might have more of an impact on how long it takes the fry to hatch rather then sex ration but I'm curious to see what you find out.

I think I've read the same article as shine (somewhere) I think the theory they were purposing was if you have an older male and a younger female the females "tricked" into thinking that there's a lack of young males around so the spawn are more male favored, while if you reverse it and pair a young male with an older female you'll get a spawn in favor of females since the perception is that there's excess males about.

Something sort of similar to this (though in reference to number of off spring instead of sex ratio) is that gilts (baby female pigs) raised in small litters will themselves tend to have larger litters, where as if they're from a large litter they have a tendancy to have smaller litters. There are other factors that could be influencing this but it's interesting.

11. ShineWell Known MemberMember

Found it :D

12. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

That is interesting Red.......... Oh thanks Shine. Had a long day today so going get off the puter for awhile. I'll read it tomorrow. Thanks again.

13. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

OK so my first attempt at the temperature experiment failed. I used two virgin fish. The male didn't know what to do. The female dropped her eggs to early.Laying all over the bottom of the tank. Male not picking them up, she was eating them. Back to square one. This time I'm going to use two proven breeders. Will get back to ya later on this.

14. TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

There could be a relationship there with Ph or temps.

As an example: The Apisto's, dwarf cichlids, have skewed sex ratio's depending on temp.

Since the Betta male builds the nest and takes care of the young, it doesn't make sense to have such a high ratio of females, unless in the wild, the females were killed by the males.

15. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

OK so we're off and running. I used two proven pair and we have eggs. Now we'll see how long they take to hatch with the lower temp of 75. If they hatch and grow they will be a real mixed up bunch LOL. I used the Black Melano male and the Salamander female. Yipes!..............Well any way I'll keep you in touch with the progress.

16. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

wow that really will be an interesting combo there :eek: lol

Can't wait to hear how it goes :)

17. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

He's being very attentive to the nest so there must be eggs in it. We'll see in a few days.

18. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

YIPPY !!!!! We have wigglers! So class the first thing we have learned is wether the temp is 80 or 75 they will still hatch in two days. Father is very attentive to fry and all is well so far......Oh I wanted to ask anyone who knows. I'm out of lettuce to start infusoria. Will spinich leafs be ok for them.

19. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Picture of wigglers in Temp experiment

Here are the one day old little wigglers.

626.jpg

20. ShibaValued MemberMember

wow i can't wait to see what happens
    although you might want to up the temp nnow to speed up growth

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice