Temp suddenly went up in new tank

Sokamix

Just set up my 40g yesterday heaters were set to 72 degrees and the next day it was all the way up to 80. Why would it get so much hotter? What can cause this? My weather is really cold btw

Fishstery

Thermostat isn't properly calibrated in the heater or the heaters are too strong for the tank size. For example I have a heater that doesnt seem quite strong enough set to 85F when I know it will only heat the tank to 76F which is where i want it. If i set it to 76F the tank would probably be more like 68F. You can assume your heater is off by 8 degrees, so if your target temp is 72F try setting the heater to 64 and see if that gets you to 72. Make sure you are around to monitor the tank temperature though

Flyfisha

If the heater has an adjustment knob it has a thermostst. The thermostat and heater will take around 24 hours between small adjustments of the knob before a true temperature is fixed/ achieved.

The markings on the heater knob mean absolutely nothing and are an indicator only. Only a thermometer should be trusted to give an accurate temperature.

mattgirl

I never put any faith on the thermostat on my heaters. Almost all of them are off a few degrees. As others have said, judge where to set the knob (thermostat) by watching a dependable thermometer.

Sokamix

I never put any faith on the thermostat on my heaters. Almost all of them are off a few degrees. As others have said, judge where to set the knob (thermostat) by watching a dependable thermometer.
Ok great thanks. I’ll try that. It’s just that they have always been good in my tanks and the thermostat numbers worked. Hmm I’ll try that tho

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Repolie
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi
Replies
Views
bmize89
Replies