Temp. stocking plan

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Faber1790, Dec 26, 2012.

1. F

Faber1790 Valued Member Member

Ok so at the advice of my local pet store and my own out-dated information I have some stocking problems. I will be getting at least a 30 gallon within the next few months, but probably a 55. I have currently available:

*2 ten gallon tanks (one set up and cycled, other being checked for leaks); aquatek 5-15 baffled as filters 100 gph

*5 gallon set up and cycled

Current fish:

*5 neon tetras
    *1 false julli cory
    *1 female betta

My plan:

1st 10g: 6 neons and 1 betta (I know the risks of bettas in communities and have kept her in one before. She was a good girl)

2nd 10g: 4 false julli cories and could I add a couple male guppies? Little sister is begging for them.

I know this is far from ideal for the cories and in the opinions of some the neons, but I think this is the best *temporary* stocking. The tank for the cories will be sand and have as large as a footprint I can give while still allowing hiding places. This sound good? I can cycle my new 10g quickly by stealing media from my well established betta's tank.

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I think that will suffice for temporary quarters. :) I don't think you'd have issues adding the guppies as long as the tank is cycled. Be careful adding 3 more cories - you'll want to let the tank bacteria catch up before adding the guppies.

3. OP
    OP
    F

My little sister will be so happy! I didn't think it would be a problem, but thought I should ask. The guppies will be in quarantine for at least three weeks so no problems with slow stocking.

4. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Your tank sounds good. :) my little sister is picking me out 1 clownfish for my new reef tank.

5. OP
    OP
    F

All the fish are technically her. Yet, I do all the work. Still not sure how this is fair for me :;dk

6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You can enjoy them too :)
    I take care of my hubby's and brother's cats and my Mom's dog and pufferfish, but I get to enjoy all three, so I don't mind much. :) I already have to care for my dog and my fish, so it's not much more trouble to add the cats and Mom's dog. Just a couple extra minutes. I have some mollies in the Puffer tank so that works out fine, too. XD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice