Temp Problem... Heater Suggestions

Luvlyrita

I have an aqueoun 10 or 15 w heater for my Betta and usually it keeps the temp in my Betta tank ant a balmy 82 degrees, which he loves. I changed the water yesterday and noticed that the temperature is at 88 degrees this morning. He doesn’t seem to mind, but it is supposed to shut off at 85 degrees and I’m wondering if anyone else has this problem and what small adjustable heater anyone can recommend as I was going to upgrade and use this one for his bowl and a spare.

sinned4g63

I have an aqueoun 10 or 15 w heater for my Betta and usually it keeps the temp in my Betta tank ant a balmy 82 degrees, which he loves. I changed the water yesterday and noticed that the temperature is at 88 degrees this morning. He doesn’t seem to mind, but it is supposed to shut off at 85 degrees and I’m wondering if anyone else has this problem and what small adjustable heater anyone can recommend as I was going to upgrade and use this one for his bowl and a spare.
They can sometimes go bad and stop working properly with the temp sensor to shut it off. It may just be time for a replacement.

Luvlyrita

Lame. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks.

Gone

When a heater breaks it's usually the thermostat, meaning it either won't work at all or it won't shut off. I'd unplug it now and replace it.

Is it one of those preset models? I've had very bad luck with the preset heaters.

sinned4g63

Lame. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks.
Must have been one they put together on a Friday afternoon.. Maybe look to see if they can offer some assistance in getting you a replacement. I don't think it would hurt to reach out and ask but I'm sure it'll simply add more wait time.

KimberlyG

Is this your heater?

Did the adjustment get bumped somehow?

Dave125g

The via aqua quartz heaters are really good for the price. Mine is almost 3 years old and still going strong. The only thing is I'm not sure if they make them that small. Marineandreef.com is where I got mine.

Luvlyrita

When a heater breaks it's usually the thermostat, meaning it either won't work at all or it won't shut off. I'd unplug it now and replace it.

Is it one of those preset models? I've had very bad luck with the preset heaters.
I believe so, it’s a 10w no setting and a safety set at 85 degrees, I just unplugged it for a bit a cracked the lid, dude is looking fine so I’m not too concerned. All of the adjustable heaters are like 25w so I’m worried that I will have the same problem of over heating. I’m looking on amazon but, it’s hard to tell from the reviews.... anyone have a tried and true brand they use? It’s only a 3 gallon tank... would a 25w adjustable be too much?

Luvlyrita

Is this your heater?

Did the adjustment get bumped somehow?
Yes that’s it... my husband was saying that I repositioned it so that it was full submerged, I guess I had it partly above the water line so when I plug it back in I’ll move it but, I still want to get something adjustable. He likes it hot but, 88 degrees is much

sinned4g63

I believe so, it’s a 10w no setting and a safety set at 85 degrees, I just unplugged it for a bit a cracked the lid, dude is looking fine so I’m not too concerned. All of the adjustable heaters are like 25w so I’m worried that I will have the same problem of over heating. I’m looking on amazon but, it’s hard to tell from the reviews.... anyone have a tried and true brand they use? It’s only a 3 gallon tank... would a 25w adjustable be too much?

My LFS had one just like this for like $8 for my 1.5g that works great. I have seen them as big as 30 watts too.

KimberlyG

Yes that’s it... my husband was saying that I repositioned it so that it was full submerged, I guess I had it partly above the water line so when I plug it back in I’ll move it but, I still want to get something adjustable. He likes it hot but, 88 degrees is much
The description says it is adjustable. It can be adjusted to 88*f. That is why I asked if it was bumped. I have done that during a water change. I don't use that one. I use Aqueon Pros and have had good luck.

Luvlyrita

Hmmmmm, I will check it out! From what I read on the package weeks ago I thought it was preset. I wanted an adjustable one but they didn’t have them small enough at the pet store. Thanks so much!!

Luvlyrita

The description says it is adjustable. It can be adjusted to 88*f. That is why I asked if it was bumped. I have done that during a water change. I don't use that one. I use Aqueon Pros and have had good luck.
Nope not adjustable, I did position it to the minimum water line now that I’m turning it back on. We shall see... still shopping around. The pro looks good...

Luvlyrita

Ok update! As per my husband’s suggestion, I adjusted the heater so that it is only submerged to the minimum water line and it is holding at 80 degrees. I am going to call the company because it was supposed to have a safety. Looking into ordering an adjustable one.

Attachments

• 702AEECC-7790-4264-8D86-A80622BC708F.jpeg
    702AEECC-7790-4264-8D86-A80622BC708F.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 85

Luvlyrita

Thanks everyone for the support!!

Attachments

• 68AC3496-F6EB-4713-833A-C79246F70F04.jpeg
    68AC3496-F6EB-4713-833A-C79246F70F04.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 82

KimberlyG

We all support each other here. You'll do the same for me one day. I'm so glad that your betta appears to be laughing at all of us "Silly People".

Dave125g

Years ago I put my smaller tanks (<3 gallons ) on a heating pad. You have to monitor temperature to make adjustments, but it works.

Luvlyrita

Years ago I put my smaller tanks (<3 gallons ) on a heating pad. You have to monitor temperature to make adjustments, but it works.
like a reptile heating pad or general use?

Dave125g

like a reptile heating pad or general use?
Just a general use heating pad. For like a sore back lol . Start it out on low and watch the temperature.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nikm128
  • ap4lmtree
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
TexasDomer