temp diffrence

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by brokenwing, Mar 21, 2010.

1. b

brokenwing Well Known Member Member

Im a bit confused. Yesterday I got a new stealth heater for a 15 gallon tank. It is 50 watts, and set on 78 degress. I have a coralife thermometer, and no matter where I move It, it reads 75.6 degrees. I know both the heater and the themometer say they are accurate within plus or minus 1 degree, but it just does not seem right to me any suggestions.

2. d

djorna Valued Member Member

is your heater close to your filter that helps circulate the warmer water around.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Do you have another thermometer? If so check to see if it agrees with the coralife.
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    b

I have the heater right under the filter so the water is circulating around it. My floating thermometer says 76 so im missing about 2 degrees. I forgot to mention I have the lid slightly ajar cause im seeding a new filter. could i be losing heat because of that.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Having the lid ajar shouldn't make you lose that much heat. Using a second thermometer to verify the reading is the simplest way to check to see if the reading is correct.
    Carol

6. D

David C Well Known Member Member

My stealth heaters are all off by 2degrees, every last one of them. At least they're consistent in the brand (otherwise an excellent heater). Be aware the coralife digital thermometers are notoriously inaccurate, something you should be aware of.

Dave

7. OP
    OP
    b

I really like the idea of having an digital aquarium thermometer what all do u reccomend if coralife is inaccurate

8. D

David C Well Known Member Member

I use my reefkeeper lite's temperature probe and I had to calibrate it so it would be accurate. I have no experience with other models. I've just read a number of posts of peoples Coralife thermometers being off by up to 18degrees after they've been a few months old. I was going to buy one myself and decided against it.

Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice