Temp and ph

1. Kingfisher 1 Initiate Member

Can ph be effected by tempature I have had some temp swings up here in ny and my ph is bouncing all over

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're likely unrelated.

Do you have a heater in your tank? What is it set at? What's the range of temps?What's the temp of the room?

What's your pH range? What's your KH and GH? I'd bet your pH is swinging because of a low KH. Unless you're adding chemicals?

3. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello King...

What sized tank do you keep? The water chemistry in a small tank is likely to be unstable because there's not enough water in them to keep water properties and temperature even. If you're keeping a basic tank with reasonably hardy fish, I recommend you not worry about the pH, hardness or any of the chemistry stuff. This kind of thing is difficult to adjust and a simple, frequent large water change routine is really all that's needed to keep a healthy tank. As for the water temperature, hopefully you have a water heater and figure on 5 watts per gallon of tank volume when you select one and use two at opposites ends of the tank if you keep larger tanks.

Old

4. Kingfisher 1 Initiate Member

Thank you it's 20 gs just been bouncing since the weather got warm

I need advice how many fish can I keep in a 20g tank I've been told up to 15 is that true don't want to over crowd

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on the species of fish. There's no hard and fast rule.

Is this a 20 gal long or tall? What did you want to stock with?

6. Kingfisher 1 Initiate Member

20 gallon long I have 4 gourami and a angel fish what else would go well with these fish

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What species of gourami?

An angelfish is too big for a 20 gal long, and should be rehomed or upgraded to a larger tank.

8. Kingfisher 1 Initiate Member

I think the angel fish is just fine

9. rcordova233 Well Known Member Member

I'd respectfully disagree. Now if your telling him to not worry about trying to reach a specific ph then that's not worth anything, but king said that his ph was bouncing all over the places. That leads to ph shock and will kill his fish. Most fish can adapt to hard or soft water, so it's not a terrible problem. Still since your ph is swinging then you probably have a low kh. NOW THAT is more of a problem than having a low gh (soft water, which is better for angels). Having low kh or having low carbonate( a base)means that there's little to no restitance to ph dropping. Without getting into chemistry terms that much, as your ph gets more acidic ( lowering) theres no base to neutralize the acids. Increasing kh is pretty easy. One easy method is to add crushed coral to your filter. It will slowly and naturally increase your kh. This will stablaize your ph. Please fix that.

Im no expert in fish but one gourami cant live with any other gourami. What species are the gouramis?Unless its like a male honey gourami and 3 females. If they're all males of any kind they'll most likely kill each other. Also why are you keeping them with an angelfish. Once the gouramis are done fighting it will fight the angel. Return 3 of the gouramis and the angel and add more compatible fish or keep the angel and add other fish.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry if you don't like my answer. You did ask for help.

Actually I do know what I'm talking about. I keep adult angels. If you would like, I can tag some expert stockers to get their opinions too?

The tank length is fine for an angelfish. The tank height is not. If you can upgrade to a 29 gal, you can keep an angelfish without a stocking issue. A 29 gal has the same footprint as the 20 gal long, so you can use the same stand and a lot of the same equipment.

11. rcordova233 Well Known Member Member

TexasDomer is one of the senior masters of Fishlore. You should listen to his advice. He's right the angelfish would be much more comfortable in a 29 gallon. Better height. Though other fishlore members have madr it work with a 20 gallon long.
    But aren't you even remotely worried about the high chance of
    A) your cycle crashing because overstocking
    B(biggest issue) your fish killing each other?

12. Dark Storm Member Member

There are other pretty fish out there that can fill the void an angel fish can't always fill. Be wary of having too many Gourami in case they don't get on. I'd love to keep Angels, but my tanks don't allow it, I just went off in another direction, and it's just as interesting :) Yeah, Apistogramma rule!

13528269_1138855279508065_8246109256293267087_o.jpg

13. Kingfisher 1 Initiate Member

I'm not a fish killer I have a nice community tank I'm not stupid I keep a good cycle My fish are healthy

14. rcordova233 Well Known Member Member

Nobody said your a fish killer. The problem is that you have fish that could and will kill each other.

15. Kingfisher 1 Initiate Member

They haven't and won't kill each other

16. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

You do have stocking issues that should be fixed before adding other fish.
    You asked for help, and thats all everybody here wants to do.

Can you upgrade to a larger tank? You would have more stocking options :)

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No one is calling you stupid or a fish killer. It is very easy to inappropriately stock your tank (LFS employees don't often give good advice - they need to make sales). You asked for stocking advice, and we very politely responded. There is no need to get defensive We're here to help your fish be as happy and healthy as possible :)

The gouramis may very well kill each other eventually, depending the species and sexes kept together. A 20 gal long is awfully small for 4 gourami and an angelfish.

If you can upgrade, even to a 29 gal, you'll have many more options. With the 20 gal currently overstocked as it is, I would not recommend adding any more fish.

If you're willing to discuss your stocking issues, we can help you fix the stocking and have a tank full of happy and healthy fish.

18. Dark Storm Member Member

Long tanks are good if you want to keep certain species that require length rather than height, for example schools of neons, Congos, Black skirt tetra or several territorial fish like Rams and Apistogramma, but unless you have a particularly tall tank, it won't house a Angel because of how tall they can grow, you may want to upgrade to a taller tank to accommodate your little stunner if he's the route you've chosen into fish keeping :)

19. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I cleaned up this thread a bit. Keep in mind rudeness is not tolerated at FishLore. So let's keep it polite

20. girllovesfish Member Member

Actually I was told it was fine to keep two gourami and one bullied the other so bad I am sure it is what killed him.