tell the sex of my Glofish?

ashlynmeredith
tell if she's pregnant and other such things

Ta-Da~
After a few days, the pink one got much bigger in the belly then the green one.
So, I should assume the pink one is a girl and the green one is male.
But now I have another question: What should I look for (aside from a bigger tummy) if the pink one (I named her Aerith ) gets pregnant? Will the tiger barbs bother the eggs? How often can they become pregnant, and how many do they normally give birth to? If she does end up pregnant should I move her to another tank until it's over?

An early thank you to all who reply and give me information, school is slightly demanding this year as well as my job so it's difficult to check this site and reply to all the nice people. x

iloveengl
HI Welcome to FishLore

If your tank info is correct, then I'm sorry to say you are drastically overstocked.

This is a really useful site https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm Unfortunately, your tank is really too small for any fish, and would not likely achieve a cycle with fish in it. Hmmm, it could be a really nice shrimp tank.

Though danios are known to argue (it's part of their charm), any fish would argue in such a cramped space. Btw, glofish are genetically modified Zebra Danios.

I've read that Tiger Barbs can be nippy and don't do well in community tanks. My danios never bothered other fish, but they liked to argue amongst themselves. However, if your fish are being aggressive, it's likely because they are suffering from being so terribly cramped in such a tiny tank. They are also likely suffering from ammonia poisoning, please check out the information on the nitrogen cycle.

Zebra Danios (glofish) need 20 gallons and do best in minimum groups of 6. Tiger barbs also need to school in at least 6 and need a minimum 20 gallons.

Here's a website for fish profiles - it's really cool to read about the different kinds of fw fish and their requirements. https://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

I'm sorry - I know this is not at all fun to read, but if you can return your fish, you and your fish will be the happier for it. It's unlikely they will survive more than a few days in their current conditions. Please continue to ask any questions that you have! There is always someone online who wants to help and offer advice to best suit your needs.

ashlynmeredith
OMG, thank you for pointing that out. I had no idea that little period has slipped in there! It's 15, not 1.5, and I changed it. I suppose that's what I get for staying up so late.

iloveengl
lol. Ok. Well I can stop having a heart attack lol. In terms of the schooling and swimming requirements, your tank is still not quite appropriate for your fish. Lol. It's SO much better than the 1.5 gallons I thought you had them in. lol!

Edit: The Nitrogen Cycle link is still a good one, as are the links for the fresh water fish profiles, so you can get more specific info about your current fish.

I eventually returned my zebra danios (glofish) because of their constant arguing, but many people really like their added character. The only way I knew I had female was when she became pregnant and REALLY fat.

ashlynmeredith
Lol, it's okay I about had one thinking the guy at WalMart lied to me. I've been really nervous about getting fish, it's taken a month to get the four little ones that I have. When I was younger I had 2 goldfish and one ate the other and then it died. It was so scary! But I adore fish. You recommend getting a 20 gallon tank so them to be most comfortable?

Tony G.
Welcome to Fishlore!
Iloveengl has ya covered
you could take the fish you have back to the store, and get a couple guppies, or you could get a really nice betta and some cory's for the bottom

Oh btw, we would LOOOVE to see pics

iloveengl
Yep, your danios will be happy in a 20gallon, especially if you get 4 more so that they can school - plus they're even prettier to watch when they swim around together.

But before you bring anymore fish home, it's important to cycle your tank, so your fish don't get ammonia poisoning. The reason your goldfish probably passed away (besides being eaten :-X) is due to their poo creating a buildup of ammonia, which is toxic.

* * * You may want to return your danios until you're cycled & maybe just return the tiger barbs more permanently since they're not really community fish.... I've returned fish to Walmart with no problems; they're pretty nice about it.

It's obvious you really care about your fishies, so I'm so glad you're asking questions and learning as much as you can. We love to help and *lol* like TOny said, we LOVE pictures once you do get around to setting up your tank. hehehe

ashlynmeredith
I see, I see..
Not to doubt or question but it's kinda shocking that tiger barbs aren't really community fish. They've been so friendly (?), I suppose, they haven't bothered the danios at all. But maybe they're just like this because they're getting used to the tank? I can watch them from my bed, it's really kinda cute cause one of the tiger barbs like's to swim in and out of the cave, or is that it being territorial?
But yes, thank you very much for your help, I don't want to have to get rid of my poor little fishies!
And I will definitely get pictures once my camera stops being so dumb.

iloveengl
I've never had tiger barbs; I only mention these characteristics from what I've googled on them, which all pretty much says they will become aggressive and nip. The first one is quick info, the second is more detailed. You can search your zebra danios on these sites too for good info.
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-TigerBarb.htm

But like I said, I have zero first-hand experience, so others may be able to tell you more specifics on them.

I know what you mean about returning fish. I had to return mine when I first found about the Nitrogen Cycle because I didn't want to make them suffer. It's hard when you get attached to them so quickly. They're the cutest little buggers, aren't they?

Come tomorrow, though, lots more members will be on and you can get lots more input and probably better insight than just me lol.

Tony G.
hmm... maybe you could get the 20g. And take the tigers out of the 15 and put them in the 20 and get them a couple more friends. Just 3-5, no more. Those would be your only fish in there because you would be fully stocked. and you could get a few more glo's to put in the 15g. What are the dimensions? they like bigger surfaces instead of tall tanks. you could pull off 5 more barbs in there. Though like it was suggested above, wait for the cycle to finish. Or, you could get some TSS ( tetra safe start) to cycle your tank. Its just a bacteria supplement that basically cycles your tank within a week. Its the only beneficial bacteria that is out in the market that does the job. Others like nutrafin's cycle won't help at all and basically starve the new good bacteria( since they feed off ammonia) and take up all the ammonia. Nutrafin's cycle is not reccomended since you would have to keep adding doses every now and then, to keep the tank in shape, while TSS is only once, and then its all good. "cycle" also uses the wrong kind of bacteria that just takes up the ammonia. Hope I made sense lol

ashlynmeredith
Lol, well thank you very much for all you've told me and for the links. The only aggression I saw from the tiger barbs, and this was before I purchased them and they were still in the tank at WalMart, was them nipping at/ moving around a dead fish. I think it was a little catfish, or it had whiskers like one, I should say.
But I will definitely ask more about them. I really wanted a betta when I went to buy a fish, but it seemed so sad, I was afraid a betta would get so lonely. Though I know they are very territorial and will fight with others, so it's best to keep them solitary.

And yes they are very adorable little creatures. I told my grandmother that I pray for my house when I'm older, I think almost every room will have an aquarium of some kind of fish. Lol.
But again, thank you very much.

iloveengl
Oiy - I'm sorry Ash! I hope we're not overloading you. I felt the same way when I first joined FishLore (lots of times, I still feel overwhelmed with things to remember). There's just so much to learn, but it's actually kinda fun...well, maybe I'm just a fish nerd? I hope you have loads of fun with your new hobby! Keep questions coming. We're all just here to help.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom