Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Tell Me Your Ideal 10g Builds

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Kat11, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Kat11Valued MemberMember

Hi Everyone!

I'm over 30 days into a fishless cycle for a 10g I started due to my 5 year old's interest ... and I immediately regretted not going bigger. I plan on adding a second, bigger tank once this 10g is stocked and stabilized (I used to keep African Cichlids many years ago). You can read my plight and my daily cycle reports here:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ishless-cycle-28-days-in.398629/#post-4079659

Anyhow, I'm finally allowing myself to think about what to eventually stock the tank with. What's your ideal 10g build and inhabitants? I'm open to all suggestions! I'm leaning toward having a few fun nano fish vs say a single betta.

Thanks!!

2. AJEFishlore VIPMember

3. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

ya me too

other things I would want are killifish
    another betta maybe, pygmy gourami, or a really cool shrimp only tank

4. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Betta and shrimp tank would be cool, just be sure to take other things like copper into consideration and cycle ahead of time.

Probably wouldn't put other fish with a betta tbh, no risk in fighting when they're alone :)

5. AJEFishlore VIPMember

6. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Shell dwelling cichlids ("shellies").
    That's my next project (after the 4 that are ongoing are done... i mean started LOL).

7. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Id go with maybe some mystery snails, and 3-4 male guppies, you could also get a male betta(even thought you said you didn't want to, they are still super fun to watch and keep!!:)), and as far as scaping it, I would use natural colored sand, and get some cool driftwood or rocks, to put in there. I would get some of the most common plants: Java Fern, Anachris, etc. Keep us posted on how it turns out please!! :):)

8. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

My guppies and albino Cory cats :)

Attached Files:

9. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Is that a 10 gal?? That looks great!! See @Kat11, the live plants and sand really looks great!!:)

10. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Blue dream neocaridina
    CRS, CBS
    Fairy shrimp
    Triops, either longicaudatus or cancriformis
    Marble Hatchet fish and some small rasboras, like chili or phoenix

11. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Thank you yes it is. I have it on 4 cinderblocks painted gray and a piece of plywood painted the same looks like a pedestal and an AQ 20 running in it with a heater. Pool filter sand an off brand amazon led light and some basic ferts thrive a Lil excel and a lil iron .. along with weekly WC’s

12. Kat11Valued MemberMember

What kind of shrimp are your favorite?

13. Kat11Valued MemberMember

Woweee! That's lovely. Love your plants!! I think my tank is low light, just the stock "bright white LED." I'd love to get a better light so I can plant like this!

14. Kat11Valued MemberMember

Thanks! Are triops cool? Do they live long? I had them from a kit when I was young

15. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Thanks. My light is just an off brand amazon led... some plants came from my other tanks but their all doing well... it’s all about the right balance. Which I haven’t quite mastered but I’m gettin there!

16. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I like them, they're a lot more active than an aquarium than the tiny kit I had them in, lol. I haven't gotten them to live longer than two months though, so that sucks. But it's cool because they reproduce asexually, hemaphroditically, and sexually, so you're guaranteed to get more eggs in the sand substrate ( I keep them in sand substrate, they really like digging). Once the adults die off, I'll take out some of the sand and dry it for a few days, rehydrate with spring water and add some limestone in an old betta cup, lol. Float it in either my pleco or betta tank (78° or above), they hatch in 48-72 hours, I'll feed them a tiny bit of spirulina (came with a kit lol), then after 4-6 days I'll acclimate then to the aquarium and pop them in. Mostly I feed them bug bites and algae wafers, lol

17. imbaWell Known MemberMember

18. ZaiValued MemberMember

What lid do you use? I'm looking for a good lid for my 10gal that won't break the bank or well, break lol

19. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

All of my tanks are uncovered. But if i were to reccomend one it would be the versa top lids. I have all the lids for my 10-20-55 but they are just sitting in the back doing nothing

20. ZaiValued MemberMember

Oh okay xD I'm getting a puffer for my 10 so need a lid and don't know what's good or now. I have an aqueon versa top in my cart so I'll go with that! Thank you!