Tell Me Your Ideal 10g Builds

Kat11

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI Everyone!

I'm over 30 days into a fishless cycle for a 10 gallon I started due to my 5 year old's interest ... and I immediately regretted not going bigger. I plan on adding a second, bigger tank once this 10 gallon is stocked and stabilized (I used to keep African Cichlids many years ago). You can read my plight and my daily cycle reports here:

Anyhow, I'm finally allowing myself to think about what to eventually stock the tank with. What's your ideal 10 gallon build and inhabitants? I'm open to all suggestions! I'm leaning toward having a few fun nano fish vs say a single betta.

Thanks!!

RobinIsACattto

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Betta and shrimp tank would be cool, just be sure to take other things like copper into consideration and cycle ahead of time.

Probably wouldn't put other fish with a betta tbh, no risk in fighting when they're alone

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Id go with maybe some mystery snails, and 3-4 male guppies, you could also get a male betta(even thought you said you didn't want to, they are still super fun to watch and keep!!), and as far as scaping it, I would use natural colored sand, and get some cool driftwood or rocks, to put in there. I would get some of the most common plants: Java Fern, Anachris, etc. Keep us posted on how it turns out please!!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PheonixKingZ said:
Is that a 10 gal?? That looks great!! See Kat11, the live plants and sand really looks great!!
Thank you yes it is. I have it on 4 cinderblocks painted gray and a piece of plywood painted the same looks like a pedestal and an AQ 20 running in it with a heater. Pool filter sand an off brand amazon led light and some basic ferts thrive a Lil excel and a lil iron .. along with weekly WC’s

OP
Kat11

Kat11

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Addie42 said:
ya me too

other things I would want are killifish
another betta maybe, pygmy gourami, or a really cool shrimp only tank
What kind of shrimp are your favorite?

OP
Kat11

Kat11

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
My guppies and albino Cory cats
Woweee! That's lovely. Love your plants!! I think my tank is low light, just the stock "bright white LED." I'd love to get a better light so I can plant like this!

OP
Kat11

Kat11

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Blue dream neocaridina
CRS, CBS
Fairy shrimp
Triops, either longicaudatus or cancriformis
Marble Hatchet fish and some small rasboras, like chilI or phoenix
Thanks! Are triops cool? Do they live long? I had them from a kit when I was young

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kat11 said:
Woweee! That's lovely. Love your plants!! I think my tank is low light, just the stock "bright white LED." I'd love to get a better light so I can plant like this!
Thanks. My light is just an off brand amazon led... some plants came from my other tanks but their all doing well... it’s all about the right balance. Which I haven’t quite mastered but I’m gettin there!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Kat11 said:
Thanks! Are triops cool? Do they live long? I had them from a kit when I was young
I like them, they're a lot more active than an aquarium than the tiny kit I had them in, lol. I haven't gotten them to live longer than two months though, so that sucks. But it's cool because they reproduce asexually, hemaphroditically, and sexually, so you're guaranteed to get more eggs in the sand substrate ( I keep them in sand substrate, they really like digging). Once the adults die off, I'll take out some of the sand and dry it for a few days, rehydrate with spring water and add some limestone in an old betta cup, lol. Float it in either my pleco or betta tank (78° or above), they hatch in 48-72 hours, I'll feed them a tiny bit of spirulina (came with a kit lol), then after 4-6 days I'll acclimate then to the aquarium and pop them in. Mostly I feed them bug bites and algae wafers, lol

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
My guppies and albino Cory cats
What lid do you use? I'm looking for a good lid for my 10gal that won't break the bank or well, break lol

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Zai said:
What lid do you use? I'm looking for a good lid for my 10gal that won't break the bank or well, break lol
All of my tanks are uncovered. But if I were to reccomend one it would be the versa top lids. I have all the lids for my 10-20-55 but they are just sitting in the back doing nothing

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
All of my tanks are uncovered. But if I were to reccomend one it would be the versa top lids. I have all the lids for my 10-20-55 but they are just sitting in the back doing nothing
Oh okay xD I'm getting a puffer for my 10 so need a lid and don't know what's good or now. I have an aqueon versa top in my cart so I'll go with that! Thank you!

New Threads