Tell Me, Now Is This Too Much?

Abdullah

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to stock my 120 into a South American tank, with abit of plants and wood.
the sump is trigger systems crystal sump 36

READ THIS
:
I plan to keep all the fish and not have to upgrade to keep them after they grow up!

STOCKING IDEA:
5 x Pictus Catfish - 6inch each Max
4 x Zebra Angelfish - 6inch Max
3 x Regular Silver Dollars - 6inch Max
2 x Thomasi (L-188a) Plecostomus - 6inch Max
1 x Fire Oscar - 12inch Max

Tell me is this too much? Tell me is this too less, can I add more?

And PLEASE does anyone know of any CRAYFISH from SOUTH AMERICA (ONLY CRAYFISH)

and also some good plants...

THANK YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the tank?

I would not keep any crayfish - they can attack fish, and why risk the fish?

I would leave out the discus - they won't do well with your other fish, and they need much warmer temps.

Don't keep angels in groups of 3 - that's asking for trouble. Two will beat up on one.

Leave out the oscar - the tank isn't big enough to keep an oscar with other fish

Abdullah

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:

I would leave out the discus - they won't do well with your other fish, and they need much warmer temps.

Don't keep angels in groups of 3 - that's asking for trouble. Two will beat up on one.

Leave out the oscar - the tank isn't big enough to keep an oscar with other fish

Hi, nice Idea buddy, my dimensions are 69x18x26, I can skip the cray even tho i love them, and it might be too earlier to do Discus for me, but I will keep the oscar, I will be getting them all at a small age, Oscar will probably be the smallest in size as the settle the fish afew per month I will get the Oscar last as it has a large bioload, getting him maybe 1.5 - 3 inches prob.

TexasDomer said:

I will replace the discus with 2 more silver dollars

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even getting the oscar at a young age and adding him last won't keep him from killing your angels and some of the other fish. Really, oscars are best kept alone unless it's a huge tank. They don't do well with tank mates, and it's not fair to your other fish to keep them in danger.

Those dimensions come out to a 140 gal, and they are very odd dimensions. Are you sure you have those right?

Abdullah

Reaction score
Ye those are the dimensions, lol the person i got it from called it 120 gal, and all fish have dangers, 6 inch fish wont fit in the mouth of a 12 inch fish

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oscars will kill fish without eating them. And you can stock appropriately so none of your fish are in danger.

Abdullah

Reaction score
okay,
TexasDomer said:
Oscars will kill fish without eating them. And you can stock appropriately so none of your fish are in danger.
thanks, would like to keep in touch, you seem to be quite knowledgeable, BTE switching the discus with
Thomasi (L-188a) Plecostomus

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I couldn't find any good info on that pleco - are you ordering it from Live Aquaria or elsewhere? It may not be temp compatible with the angels.

The pictus cats don't have much temp overlap with the angels either.

What's the one species you want to keep? We can help you stock appropriately around that species (unless it's the oscar, and it should really be kept alone then).

Abdullah

Reaction score
temp compatible? yea live aquaria is where I am thinking of, hmm... I don't mind getting a different pleco, I would prefer it to be 6 inches long and affordable... you know any like that?

Abdullah

Reaction score
lol, not to sound like it bad looking, but its not of my liking? Know any other one... also do you know if the pictus PH requirement is compatible?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are lots. What species do you have available to you?

Since you're not dealing with hard water fish, you don't need to worry about your pH unless it's too low (below 6.5 or so). Fish can adapt and they'll be fine.

Temperature compatibility is a big concern though, along with behavioral compatibility.

What's the one species you really want to keep in this tank?

Abdullah

Reaction score
Species of pleco, or in general?
I researched, these fish should get along, only the angels who are slow would have an issue if there i one

BTW i was thinking instead of plecos, what are some active fish that i did not add that are active, grow to 6 inches, and are relatively peaceful

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:

That is true. At my local fish shop all the angelfish in a tank seem to chase after the weakest one. I would keep one, but you can try 2.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have tried this combo about 2 yrs ago. Didn't work out too good. The Angels prefer a well planted tank. The Silvers not so much. It got worse when 2 of the angels paired. Your move.

Abdullah

Reaction score
varmint said:
I have tried this combo about 2 yrs ago. Didn't work out too good. The Angels prefer a well planted tank. The Silvers not so much. It got worse when 2 of the angels paired. Your move.
Hmm, makes sense but I think I can handle it, in a 140 gallon, only 3 silvers,

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I had a 120 at my disposal this is what I personally would do.

1 Snowball Pleco
2 Electric Blue Acaras
8 Corydoras (Brozen or Albino)

This is just a suggestion for you to look into.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom