Tell me about your tablet!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kinezumi89, Dec 3, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm planning on buying a tablet over winter break. I don't know why it took me this long to think of asking my fellow FishLorians!

Here's why I think it would be a good idea for me to get one:

I am a college student. Professors put their lecture slides (Powerpoint presentations) online before class. I print them out and bring them to class to use for taking notes. Professors go way too fast for you to be physically capable of writing everything down, and even if they did, I'd be wasting time writing down what's online instead of listening to them explain things, possibly including things that aren't on the slides.

1. I go through a CRAZY amount of ink and paper printing these things out. I think I'm on my third ink cartridges, and I buy paper in packages of 750 sheets now.
    2. Sometimes professors forget to put the slides up until right before class. This means I am out of luck for taking notes. I've noticed that I legitimately learn more poorly when I don't have the notes directly in front of me, as opposed to seeing them on the screen.
    3. Carrying binders full of notes is heavy! Textbooks are heavy enough.
    4. I wouldn't ever accidentally forget to bring a binder one day, because I'd have them all with me all the time. Plus I could easily bring notes and study when I'm in the car, on the train, etc.

Here's what I would use it for/the features I am looking for:

1. Long battery life is a plus! I'll be using it a lot all day, and outlets aren't always conveniently located.
    2. Ability to read and edit Word documents and PDFs. I need to actually be able to draw and write, not just type.
    3. Internet, so I can visit FishLore, of course! (But not during class.)
    4. I don't think there are many black and white ones anymore, but I need to it be in color, as color is often paramount in understanding diagrams.

Storage isn't a huge issue since the files I'll be storing won't be taking up tons of space.

So far, the people I've talked to have all said to avoid iPads. I've heard the Google Nexus 7 is good, as well as a Kindle Fire HD with Android put on it (I have a friend who says he can do that).

So, people with tablets: Tell me what you have, what you like about it, what you don't like about it, and all that good stuff. Thanks in advance for your info! :)

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I am in love with my Toshiba Thrive 16gb! I use it to take notes in my History class and to work on my all my papers when I am at work, shh don't tell ;)... I even dropped it recently (get a case will save your life) and, of course, it was the one time i pulled it out of the case. the right side of the screen cracked and the awesome thing is it didn't mess with the alignment and still works like it isn't broken... I am having it fixed christmas break because I have to have it until then... I recommended it to EVERYONE!!! oh and it is an android (or android powered how ever you want to say it) also if you buy a stylus, as I did, you can download an app and draw on it :)

I read a lot, almost 15 books a week, and I read them all with Adobe reader... It comes with Adobe so you should be able to work with PDFs as well!

It also has a USB port, and 2 other ports of different shapes thaqt I never use, and it can also hold a Micro SD card (what you put in your phone) so that can add to the memory you use :)

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks foe the great review! I hadn't heard of that one. I have a Toshiba laptop and I love it, so I'll have to look in to that tablet :)

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Yeah if it isn't a Toshiba I won't own it... I got mine through Aarons they agreed to get it fixed for me free as well :)

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

If you're printing a lot. A cheap laser printer would be a good investment. :) They usually get about 2000 pages per toner.

6. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Whatever you chose. For your needs, I would go with a 10" version. If you were looking at the Nexus 7, I would give the Nexus 10 a look over. It hasn't been out long but for what you are looking, a 10" would probably better suite you.

Just my 2cents. BTW I have a galaxy tab 10.1
    Outlaw

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

My tablet is called a Legal Pad. I have white and yellow. Once I've used all of the pages, I flip it over and use the back side. They contain a lot of information that I have written personally. :;laughing

Ken:;rudolph

8. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I've thought about that, but that would only fix the first issue, but not the "binders full of paper are really heavy" problem or the "sometimes the professors procrastinate with uploading the files" problem.

I didn't even know they made tablets so big! Thanks, I'll look into it :)

9. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

I'd recommend a galaxy Note Tablet,... Samsung makes great products. I own a playbook but the screen isn't that big. Would never invest in a playbook again. Just my opinion.

10. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I really like my 7" nook tablet, but only after I ruined it and installed CM10 (jelly bean) on it. But for what you are looking to do I would have to agree that a 10" tablet is a better fit for taking notes.

I don't have a link to it, but I've seen tablet cases that have built in keyboards that work via either USB or bluetooth (depends on the model) that would make typing info a lot better than a virtual keyboard when you need more than a few words.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  11. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks for the info guys, duly noted :)

12. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

I really love my iPad, but I've never used it to view slides on PowerPOint or anything like that so I can't really comment.

However I was in a few classes where I had to print the slides as well, and I ended up printing 2 or 3 to a page instead of one/page. This helped me cut down on the paper. In some cases I could print 4 to a page. Have you considered this? You may be able to save yourself the expense of a tablet.

13. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

There are certain things that the ipad can't do that you would need as a student. And they are really high priced. Okay.... yes, I own one.... but that's because it is my preference.
    But if I were a student on a budget and was using it for notetaking and school...... I probably would have gotten either the Samsung Note or the Kindle Fire HD 7".

First off, I have yet to buy a Samsung product that I don't love. You can annotate PDFs with iA and you have access to the android market for everything else. It does however have a smaller screen than many of your other options.

As for the Kindle.... you can purchase school text books at 60% thru Amazon and use your tablet as your text books. That's worth it's weight in gold, in my opinion. I remember the price and literal weight of those books. And Amazon Prime is 1/2 off for college sudents. Speaking of weight.... it's only 13 oz. and has 11 hours of battery life. And it is PDF and Word compatible, and has access to the andoid market and amazon market. There also coming out with an app for it called notebook.... it complies all your notes and highlights in one place so you can easily view what you need to study all in one place. Anddd you get a lot of bang for your buck. I do own a Kindle... not the fire, but I can advise that Amazon products and customer service are highly recommendable.

Hope that helps.

14. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Wow thanks for all the info!! You're the third person who recommended the Kindle Fire HD, I'll definitely have to look in to it. I'm hoping to get lots of suggestions by the time I'm done with finals next week so I can do lots of research ;)

15. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

Personally I would not get a kindle fire. Not sure about HD, but I have a kindle fire and wouldn't expect the HD is much different..... typing is a nightmare because it's totally different from a standard keyboard (well position wise, the space bar is awkwardly positioned so that I end up with.words.like.this)...

I would get an iPad, the evernote app is a really useful tool for notes, you can sync notes you type on your ipad to your phone or computer. Yes, it's expensive but really, the kindle fire cannot even compare to what the iPad can do (plus the browser on the kindle fire crashes 90% of the time for me..... and can barely load some pages)

Just my two cents!! (and yes I own both iPad and Kindle Fire)

16. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks for your tips!

I think I might be leaning away from the Kindle Fire HD; while I have heard good things, I'm thinking a 10" might be a good idea, and the Fire HD is 7". The main reason I'm leaning away from an iPad is that I'm a poor starving college student, and for an equivalent amount of money I can get an old, cruddy iPad or a new somethingelse. Or for lots of money, I can get a new iPad. But lots of money isn't so much of an option for me!

17. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Update: CNET has a lot of good information comparing tablets. Here's the link for the Google Nexus 10:  

In conclusion, holy cow 10" tablets are more expensive than I thought. I didn't realize how tiny 7" tablets were. I can't take notes on one; 7" tablets are basically like big phones. I didn't realize that when I saw people at school with tablets all the time, that the 10" variety was the minority...iPads have always been around 10" but only the newest models from other brands (Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Tab) are 10".

I didn't want to spend $400 on a tablet, but I also don't want to spend $200 on something that won't really help my cause. Unfortunately my mom said she's already almost done with Christmas shopping...sigh :p

18. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Where are you shopping? I'm seeing a bunch of 10" tabs in the $300 range.

19. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Amazon, but the Nexus 10 isn't there yet, so that's just google's price. I've seen other 10" tablets, but one of them was apparently made by Staples and recalled for being cruddy. A friend is selling a Lenovo ideapad but according to Amazon reviews, it doesn't work with a stylus, and that's an absolute must. I kind of assumed all tablets were stylus compatible, I'll have to look in to that more...

20. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I've got a Nexus 7 and love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice