Tell Me About Silver Dollars

Betta02

Hi all, wondering if anyone can tell me about their experiences keeping Silver Dollars. I'm interested in these fish, have done a bit of reading, would love to hear your experiences with these fish.

!poogs!

Well Known
If you have live plants, they will eat them right down to the roots. They can decimate a planted tank in days.

Other than that they look great, are great community tank fish, and in a long tank 3 feet or more, they look great In a school when they swim across the tank.

jaysurf7

awesome fish one of my all time favorites,I keep them in my 60 gal along with other fish.they seem quite peaceful and pretty hardy and like to be in a school of others.there notorious plant eaters I put a live plant in my tank not even 5 min they where all eating it since they prefer a veg diet but will eat any kind of food ,there also very big eaters.if I'm correct there's 2 types of sliver dollars ones that have spots on them and ones just sliver with no spots,from what I've noticed the ones with spots seem to be a lil more sensitive. They can live 10 years or more and can grow pretty big.another interesting fact I found out is there in the same family as the piranha fish, you can tell how similar they look.Overall a good fish to keep in a aquaruim that seems to do ok with many other kinds of fish.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
They're really cool fish, need to have them in a larger tank and they school. I had them in a 125 planted tank. They did okay if I kept them well fed but they nipped at plants so eventually I traded them into the LFS.

Debbie1986

Well Known
I have had 4 for 14 months.

they are very shy
keep take out of any major traffic area in home, if startled they can injure themselves
I always talk with them in allow soothing voice when approaching their tank so they know nothing is wrong ( less stress)
I keep lights off unless it's their 5 am feeding time.
they have a great personality imo and school nicely.

I sit & talk with them a few feet away & they will come to front of tank and watch

if you can, place them so they can see a tv, they will watch the tv and watch you! Very intelligent!

I watched you tube video a year ago ( not going to post it) where an owner had a biting issue with his silver dollars. I think if they get stressed, (bright light on all the time etc) you can have issues.

However, this is a different video of same issue:

This is 1 fish imo you have to follow the fish temperament guidelines. the much older video I mentioned, this guy's silver dollars were a mess. he tried for months to resolve biting issues. separation etc. they just looked ragged. my phone camera stinks. my 4 have such a high gleam to this skin. in the right light they're gorgeous imo. I'm really proud of them which is why I'm keeping them alone vs stressing them with a community tank.

I have their new tank & hope to have it set up next month ( china cabinet is still in the room, I have to get it removed by paying someone....), then redo the flooring & I can set it up.

I only got 3 of the 4 in this picture just now. I thought I got the other guy solo, but he moved fast! lol. they were the size of a quarter when I got them.

I just watched a video recently, really old silver dollar was the over 20 years old & huge!

attached in case you are interested:
(the pic shown is a different fish, he shows the silver very early on on his community tank)

Attachments

OP
Betta02

Betta02

Thanks guys for your response. My LFS has some very nice Silver Dollars. It was suggested to me that I try to add a couple more angels and maybe some Silver Dollars. I'm not so sure I'm a fan of the Angels at this point. My 65 gallon is only 3'long, but it's tall. In my reading, I found that a longer tank is recommended.
Once I finish moving everyone, I will end up with one Angelfish (juvenile), 6 Bronze Cories, and a Bristlenose Pleco. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.
I returned one very aggressive Angel to the LFS yesterday, the other one currently seems to be fairly okay with the current Guppies and Rasboras in the tank.
My dream has always been to have a pair of Blood Parrots in this tank, but my LFS told me I'd have to get rid of my Cories, and I have nowhere else to put them. I've had them over a year, and don't want to part with them.
I'd really like to have fewer, larger fish, so I thought the Silver Dollars may work. But, I don't think my tank is big enough to keep the number needed to keep them happy. Thoughts on this?

OP
Betta02

Betta02

Debbie1986 said:
I have had 4 for 14 months.

they are very shy
keep take out of any major traffic area in home, if startled they can injure themselves
I always talk with them in allow soothing voice when approaching their tank so they know nothing is wrong ( less stress)
I keep lights off unless it's their 5 am feeding time.
they have a great personality imo and school nicely.

I sit & talk with them a few feet away & they will come to front of tank and watch

if you can, place them so they can see a tv, they will watch the tv and watch you! Very intelligent!

I watched you tube video a year ago ( not going to post it) where an owner had a biting issue with his silver dollars. I think if they get stressed, (bright light on all the time etc) you can have issues.

However, this is a different video of same issue:

This is 1 fish imo you have to follow the fish temperament guidelines. the much older video I mentioned, this guy's silver dollars were a mess. he tried for months to resolve biting issues. separation etc. they just looked ragged. my phone camera stinks. my 4 have such a high gleam to this skin. in the right light they're gorgeous imo. I'm really proud of them which is why I'm keeping them alone vs stressing them with a community tank.

I have their new tank & hope to have it set up next month ( china cabinet is still in the room, I have to get it removed by paying someone....), then redo the flooring & I can set it up.

I only got 3 of the 4 in this picture just now. I thought I got the other guy solo, but he moved fast! lol. they were the size of a quarter when I got them.

I just watched a video recently, really old silver dollar was the over 20 years old & huge!

attached in case you are interested:
(the pic shown is a different fish, he shows the silver very early on on his community tank)
Debbie: If I were to just keep the Silver Dollars, could I keep my Corydoras (6), and my Bristlenose Pleco? I'm not sure what size tank you have, but I have a 65 tall, which is only 3' long. Don't know if this is enough room for the minimum of 5 that's recommended for a minimum.

OP
Betta02

Betta02

!poogs! said:
If you have live plants, they will eat them right down to the roots. They can decimate a planted tank in days.

Other than that they look great, are great community tank fish, and in a long tank 3 feet or more, they look great In a school when they swim across the tank.
I have never tried live plants, would like to, but it will be in one of my smaller tanks. This tank has driftwood, rocks, fake plants, and sand substrate.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Adding more angels would be a mistake. You would want at most 2 adult angels - your plan of just one - is i think the right move. Angels do like schools as kids but as adults once they reach sexual maturity things can get rocky if you have more than a pair.

When you said 'aggressive' angel that you return - i'm going to guess it was aggressive towards your other angel. This will amost be the case that any size group of angels (even young) will 'bicker' until one is declared the boss which can sometime take several months.
-
I do think you would be better off with a second angel than trying to introduce silver dollars. Don't take this as a recommendation for another angel but just between the two choices.

Betta02 said:
Thanks guys for your response. My LFS has some very nice Silver Dollars. It was suggested to me that I try to add a couple more angels and maybe some Silver Dollars. I'm not so sure I'm a fan of the Angels at this point. My 65 gallon is only 3'long, but it's tall. In my reading, I found that a longer tank is recommended.
Once I finish moving everyone, I will end up with one Angelfish (juvenile), 6 Bronze Cories, and a Bristlenose Pleco. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.
I returned one very aggressive Angel to the LFS yesterday, the other one currently seems to be fairly okay with the current Guppies and Rasboras in the tank.
My dream has always been to have a pair of Blood Parrots in this tank, but my LFS told me I'd have to get rid of my Cories, and I have nowhere else to put them. I've had them over a year, and don't want to part with them.
I'd really like to have fewer, larger fish, so I thought the Silver Dollars may work. But, I don't think my tank is big enough to keep the number needed to keep them happy. Thoughts on this?

OP
Betta02

Betta02

jake37 said:
Adding more angels would be a mistake. You would want at most 2 adult angels - your plan of just one - is i think the right move. Angels do like schools as kids but as adults once they reach sexual maturity things can get rocky if you have more than a pair.

When you said 'aggressive' angel that you return - i'm going to guess it was aggressive towards your other angel. This will amost be the case that any size group of angels (even young) will 'bicker' until one is declared the boss which can sometime take several months.
-
I do think you would be better off with a second angel than trying to introduce silver dollars. Don't take this as a recommendation for another angel but just between the two choices.
The one Angel I had started picking on the other Angel, I gave it a few weeks to see if they would settle down. That didn't happen, and then the aggressive Angel started going after my other fish. My one Angel now seems to be doing much better, hasn't shown any aggression towards anyone else yet. I don't think I will add another Angel, and will pass on the Silver Dollars. I will take some time to figure out a stocking plan for this tank. Thanks for your input/advice, I'm still fairly new to this hobby and it's greatly appreciated.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Betta02 said:
Debbie: If I were to just keep the Silver Dollars, could I keep my Corydoras (6), and my Bristlenose Pleco? I'm not sure what size tank you have, but I have a 65 tall, which is only 3' long. Don't know if this is enough room for the minimum of 5 that's recommended for a minimum.

but, as the SDF age, they will need larger tank space. they are part of the Pacu family. Mine are around 3 inches, but would be much bigger if I had been able to move them by now.

they are a peaceful fish, but stress management is key - low lighting and low human foot traffic, happy fish.

they are not bottom dwellers unless eating off the tank floor, so BN would be fine. Cories - I have no idea, as the SDF aged and grew bigger they may see them as food. SDF follow the 'if it fits in my mouth, I eat it' rule.

currently, larger snails are safe, but small snails get gobbled up in my SDF tank.

65 would work now, but due to massive size, you'd likely need a 125 gallon in 5 to 10 years. I know I will, but I'm working myself slowly up to that point.

MacZ

Well Known
Betta02 said:
Why shouldn't you keep the catfish? Well, as Debbie says, if it fits in their mouths... Biggest problem I see: There are several different species of silver dollars and some can grow quite large. I think keeping them in a tank smaller than 100 gallons and a footprint of 2m x 0.5m would be a rather bad idea longterm as they need a lot of swimming space.
And without wanting to assume you won't get a bigger tank, I've seen a lot of people saying "I'm going to buy a bigger tank in 6/12/18 months, no worries!" and the fish are still in the same tank they had 3 years ago. So please, if you haven't completely planned out an upgrade you might want to wait purchasing Silver Dollars.

OP
Betta02

Betta02

MacZ: I've got 5 tanks now. My 65 is the largest, and I have no more room for a larger tank. This tank has been a bit of a challenge to get stocked the way I'd like it, as far as I'm concerned, the SDF are off the table.

MacZ

Well Known
Betta02 said:
MacZ: I've got 5 tanks now. My 65 is the largest, and I have no more room for a larger tank. This tank has been a bit of a challenge to get stocked the way I'd like it, as far as I'm concerned, the SDF are off the table.
Oh, I missed the sentence where you said so. :) All good, you made the right decision.

waterpat

Betta02 said:
My dream has always been to have a pair of Blood Parrots in this tank, but my LFS told me I'd have to get rid of my Cories, and I have nowhere else to put them.
Would parrots eat Cories? I think most can't even quite close their mouths.

Debbie1986

Well Known
waterpat said:
Would parrots eat Cories? I think most can't even quite close their mouths.
I watch a lot of monster fish videos where a fish only an inch or so bigger eats another one :( . I just wouldn't chance it. Cories are just to adorable!

that's why I think the temperament guidelines for cohabitation work - saves you the heart ache & expense.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
I would not keep an Angel with Blood Parrot fish as they would probably fight for dominance of the tank.

One Angel is much less of a headache than having a pair setting up a breeding territory, trying to chase out all the other fish and falling out with each other after spawning.

Silver Dollars are too large for this tank but Diamond Tetras are smaller and similar.

An Angel as the dominant fish, lots of Corydoras and a shoal of Tetras would be ideal.

Hopefully your Bristlenose will not chase your Corydoras. I find them a bit of a bully.

OP
Betta02

Betta02

I would only do Parrots if I take my Angel back. He/she will only go back if it gets dicey with the aggression, I won't be adding a second one. My Bristlenose is about full grown, haven't ever seen her bother anyone including the Cories. I love the Harlequin Rasboras, but they didn't do well for me after a few months. Lost a whole bunch of them. I've got 3 left, which I know isn't ideal, but I haven't been able to get more that look healthy. Hopefully I can come up with a good stocking plan!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I had silver dollars for a bit and every time you went near the tank they almost killed themselves running into things. Very skittish for sure! They always had abrasions on them somewhere. :rolleyes:

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I haven't had problems with cory and bn as long as the cory stay away from bn food. One thing is for sure once the bn decides it wants to eat something (even if something else is eating it) it becomes her food and she will take it by force if need be.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom