Tell Apart Male And Female Gourami.

1. K

Kohlt22 New Member Member

Would someone mind helping me sex these two dwarf gourami? I believe the smaller one is a male but I am not certain. The larger (more bland appearence) one is the female I assume? 20180525_063702_HDR.jpg Screenshot_2018-05-25-06-37-50.jpg

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I'm looking at two males actually. The larger one is more bland because of the morph and variation most likely.

3. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I've seen female Dwarf Gourami at a Pet Supermarket near me twice. They were completely silver in color. No stripes or reds or blues.

4. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Those are both male. If in doubt, look at their dorsal fin - if the tip rounded its female, triangular is male

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Females don't usually have many colors unlike males.
    You can get a flame dwarf gourami female and she won't even have comparable colors with the male.

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Both males. Look at the back of the dorsal fin. If it's pointed, it's a male. If it's rounded, it's a female.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Agree 2 males = war at some point

8. OP
    OP
    K

Kohlt22 New Member Member

Ah okay, I was really hoping that one of them would be female. I tried researching on my own what a female would like but I was wrong. Oh well, I guess the little guy will be in my new community when after I get it set up and cycled. (Bigger one was actually my first fish I've had for months so I couldn't ever evict him from his home lol). Thank you guys for the responses!

9. Flor

Flor New Member Member

Same question, male or female? Hope you dont mind i piggyback your post. Bought this as female, but im not an expert.
    Hope you guys can help me?

DPaU0qt.png

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a female to me. Rather healthy looking one, breed her soon!

11. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the sight Flor, I see all males.

12. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

OP had two males, but @Flor 's fish is a female. Note the round dorsal and the fat abdomen.

And I forgot to say also, welcome to the Fishlore website.

13. DoubleDutch

Agree with CD though the dorsal-difference seems to be less distinctive (Is this English) in the blue ones.

14. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

Agree and agree, though it's belly isn't much rounder than an unsexable juvenile. Also have heard that some import DGs get sex changes to be male (infertile) for coloration.

15. yukondog

16. yukondog

Hope I credited it right.
    This is exactly what all my female DG I breed looked like.

17. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

Yup, that's how my male looked when he showed up, except dorsal was shorter at the back.

18. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

That's a beautiful female

19. DoubleDutch

20. yukondog

Thanks DD.