Tell All: Cherry Shrimp

AquaCaitlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have never had shrimp in my aquariums before but the longer I spend on this forum the more I would like to get some.
I am specifically eying Cherry Shrimp (the blue ones really catch my eye).

Tell me all I need to know, and is there any particular seller that sells drop-dead lovely blue cherry shrimp?

JtheFishMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Petco sells Blue Velvet Shrimps, and I have purchased many from them.

Cherry Shrimp are one of the hardiest shrimps to keep. They are very vibrant and should be pretty easy to keep. When I had mine, I keep them in a 20 gallon tank with guppies. I fed them bottom feeder pellets, and most of mine started to breed.

Make sure your aquarium is cycled before you purchase them. They also feed on bio - film in your tank. I have noticed that they do significantly better with live plants, but that is just in my experience.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First, get and use an API master kit and a gh/KH test kit. These are vital for monitoring your tank and making sure it’s shrimp safe. Also be patient- let your tank mature and be a few months old to create that biofilm. I also agree with the live plants- specifically moss. My shrimp LOVE grazing on the moss and I know many people have said the same.

When you do buy them- drip acclimate them for at least two hours. I didn’t know how important that slow acclimation process was until it was too late and it was already effecting my shrimp. FishRFriendz has amazing blue shrimp. When I’m ready to get more I will be ordering them from him.

Also make sure you don’t have any predators! If you’re trying to breed them then be picky with your fish stocking or have none at all

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a lot of information on here on how to keep them. I recommend that you do some reading on here and ask questions for anything that is not clear. Remember there are opinions on here most are 100% spot on, there are some that might not be so accurate. I guess what I am saying if it makes sense to you then it is probably sound advise, but by all means ask before you do something if you have questions.

AquaCaitlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve heard a lot of different input on tank size. What is the best tank size if I were to breed them?

BlueRamChiclidLover22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get red cherry shrimp that I am setting up next year, it’s hard to explain why it’s that way, just read my post called: sad thing has happened

I have done extensive research on them and it seems that if you just keep them in the general parameters they need they will be happy. If you want to breed them make sure you have lots of plants and moss. A simple carpeting plant would also be a great spot for the really tiny cute babies. Also, do not add any fish that have a mouth bigger than a pin head, also even fish that small could eat all the babies and eggs so watch out.

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishRFriendz has amazing blue shrimp. When I’m ready to get more I will be ordering them from him.
Thanks, but unfortunately I haven't been selling the Dream Blue for a while. I realized they were over sold early this year, so I stopped selling them in Feb or so, expecting to start again in May, but then I did a big rack upgrade and they're still getting established in the new tank. Now I'm looking at moving to a new house so even if they do get established... they'll probably have to go through another transition.

The only colonies that are doing well enough to sell at the moment are my reds and light blue.

ROFEA

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I ordered some online and some I bought off craigslist. My craigslist buy had the best colors, health and price.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom