Teenage Mums??

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by anitazoechang, Jun 13, 2018.

1. anitazoechang

anitazoechangNew MemberMember

I recently put a male in my female guppy tank that currently holds 1 full grown female and 5x 3 month old females (just turned 3 months old 3 days ago). They're don't yet look full grown but I noticed that their gravid spots look yellow. I didn't think they were large/mature enough to get pregnant yet but their bellies look like they're getting bigger as well. Could they be pregnant? The first photo is comparing the size of the 3 month olds to the adult I have in the tank and the other photos are of their gravid spots
    Gup 2.JPG
    Gup 1.JPG
    Gup.JPG

2. Bearwithfish

BearwithfishValued MemberMember

Yeah they are old enough. Guppies mature remarkably early.

3. Mary765

Mary765Well Known MemberMember

My 6 month old guppies are still pretty small for their age but have fully developed sex organs from what I can tell, so your scenario isn't unusual.

They do seem to be in early signs of pregnancy but that could just be how they look (some guppies spend their lives looking pregnant even if they aren't). If they are kept with males then they will probably be pregnant as soon as possible if they aren't already!

4. OP
    OP
    anitazoechang

anitazoechangNew MemberMember

5. Bearwithfish

BearwithfishValued MemberMember

I cannot speak for everyone, but WE WANT PIX!! LOL ;)

6. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Even young female guppies can mate pretty early. It's not even uncommon that a female of 4-6 weeks (despite of the small size of the female) can mate with a male. The question remains wether she'll start off a pregnancy right away of that she may store the sperm of the male first and become pregnant at a later stage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice