Teeeny Tiny Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JoyToTheFishes, Jul 27, 2015.

1. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

Hey guys,

My guppies have been having a whole bunch of fry lately, and I've noticed that there are absolutely tiny (like a tenth the size of the guppy fry, if you can imagine!) little fry in my tank..

Are there guppy fry that are that small? There's nothing else in the tank with them, however, there were some danios up until a few days ago?

I tried to take a picture, but they're just too small.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's possible the danios spawned & the eggs are now hatching, if you have plenty of hiding places they may survive being eaten by the guppies.
    You could try using a turkey baster to suck them up & put in a breeder net until they're a little bigger.

3. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

They could be Danio fry I suppose. They're generally much smaller to start out than guppy fry. Guess you'll have to see if any of them survive long enough for a positive identification.

4. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

Turkey baster! What an excellent idea!

Thanks guys!

Ooh, upon Google imaging, I think they most likely are Danio fry.

Wow, I didn't think that would happen so easily.. or that they would be leaving someone behind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  5. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Lol I consider a turkey blaster (for use in the fish room only) to be an essential aquarium tool. I use mine to catch fry and shrimp all the time as well as to do some spot cleaning of uneaten food, etc.

6. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

Another awesome idea! You guys are pretty crafty.

There should be a whole thread for these kind of tips.. or perhaps there already is one..

7. g

gypsy32 Valued Member Member

Lol EricV i have just spent over an hour trying to catch some ghost shrimp to move to my other tank, they are so quick & i struggled to catch them the siphon didn't work they just swam out the water flow wasn't strong enough so i tried with a net that was tricky as i have lots of plants, after reading your tip i just went & tried the turkey baster & i caught 3 in one suck..lol

If only u had posted that comment an hour ago..lol

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice