Technology question about a broken iPod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AquariaUK, Dec 27, 2012.

1. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

Hi everyone!!

I'm aware this isn't a fish-related question and I thought I'd post here before anything else. And I didn't know where to put this thread. And I'm typing this on my phone so please forgive speeling miztaakes.

A couple of days ago my iPod 4th gen died on me - I was updating the system and it crashed so I manually rebooted it which means it has a turquoise, yellow or blue screen. Ive tried pretty much everything short of dismantling the stupid thing but any other ideas would be good.

I am getting a replacement soon from Amazon (for the same price but with 8 more gb) so its not all bad. I do lose all my data and apps but that is why I'm posting this.

I bought all my stuff through the app store with an iTunes account but I didn't do it on the computer. Is there a way of getting my paid apps back for free considering I already bought them? I have proof of purchase. Its about 15 pounds worth and I dont want to lose it.

Thanks!

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If you bought it on itunes then it should be there for you when you sign back into itunes. Same with the apps.

3. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

IME all apps bought using an iTunes account are shared with that account. So even if you didn't add them to the computer, your account will still show them as purchased.

We have 4 devices on our iTunes account and any apps bought on one device can be installed free on any other device we have.

Just log into your iTunes on your new device and you should be good to go!

Edit: 1 minute too late :)

4. Jaysee

Only cause you told a story :)

5. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

I have a habit of doing that! Lol

6. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Two lessons that I learned the hard way about Apple.

1) Their updates are dangerous. Make sure you have back-ups and access to them via other devices.

2) The hardware can quit suddenly, no obvious reason. No physical damage. Just go to use it and nothing. No way to resurrect short of paying Apple to repair it. Cheaper to just buy another. By design?

7. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

There are programs available to rip the music from your iPod so you can store them on your computer in case of a crash, though many of the free ones are a bit buggy. You can also do this manually by connecting your iPod to the computer, opening it in windows explorer, and finding the mp3 & 4 files. However, when you do that, the files will be named with a combo of four random letters - a real pain in the rear, as you will have to re-enter their info manually.

8. Meeps83

Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

Or you can just copy and paste your mp3/mp4 files from your iTunes screen into a new Windows folder.

9. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Mine never did do that.

10. OP
    OP
    AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

I never actually had any music on (shameful) but I'll be able to get the games back, just not the data. I'll be able to order one next Wednesday. Thanks!

11. Jaysee

If there was data on it to be recovered, there is software you can get to retrieve it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice