Technique for photographing aquarium

1. swimfan Member Member

I need some tips on taking pics of my aquarium. I always get the flash in a big bright spot on the glass, or the flash makes the fish seem silvery (and their true colours don't show up in the shot). If I don't use the flash, its all too dark and I can't see a thing. How does everyone else get such nice photos?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

When taking pictures of fish, you have to point your camera at an angle, or you will get the flash reflection. Just take the photo slighly to the side instead of right in front of the tank. You will have to play with your flash and lighting to what works best with your camera. Sometimes your camera will let you turn off all lights except for the tank lights, and sometimes you can just add light from the top of the tank. The flash can sometimes change the colors so they look unnatural. You will just have to play with that. Most good fish photos are taken along with 300 bad ones. Most of your shots will not be good, so don't get discouraged!

3. onelovie Member Member

I think taking the picture from an angle is definitely key, like Gunnie said. It took me a million tries to finally get a few pictures where I could actually see my fish and not a big flash of light on the glass. You just have to keep trying - eventually you'll get it right and it's definitely worth it.

4. swimfan Member Member

thanks gang, i'll keep at it! you'll be the first to see my award winning shots! lol ::)

5. BettaBuddy ~ Miley Well Known Member Member

i know what you guys mean by play around with it i try every thing and every time i get my camera Oscar gets into a posing mood and poses for me then after a while he gets pissed off cause he is getting sick of the camera flash lol, Miley