Question Tearing down & rescaping a tank

greahound

Reaction score
Alright, for background, I've had a pond snail problem for months. A while back I fed my pleco full wafers and they blew out of control since then; I fixed the overfeeding problem months ago, but they're still out of control and culling them is not helping. So finally I've torn down my tank to mass murder the pond snails, but I need a bit of help going through with this.

Right now I have the tank filter running on a big tub with hides, an air stone, a heater, and a few big clumps of hornwort. I'm planning on doing water changes each day and not feeding for a few days just to be sure there's no problems (the tub is a little smaller than the tank). But my main question is what I should do with the gravel - I know I have to wash it with hot water or let it dry out, but I'm not sure which to do. I'm also not sure what to do with the gunk, since I had an undergravel filter on this tank also (which I am now throwing out). Any advice? I've never torn apart one of my tanks like this!

Attached is a picture of the mess lol

Attachments

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What about all the eggs on everything in the tote? They'll just come right back. Why are they a problem?

OP
G

greahound

Reaction score
I'll be drying those out and dipping the plants to get rid of eggs. They originally became a problem because of the algae wafers I used to feed my pleco

I'm just asking about the gravel though! Dry or boil?

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Boil I guess, but why are you still "running" stuff in the tote then? The eggs are most likely on everything, much less the babies running around everything.
My question was why are they a problem, not how did they become a problem.
Sounds like you got it all handled, good luck.

OP
G

greahound

Reaction score
My fish are still alive and doing fine, so I put them in the tub while their tank is drained. There's a school of neons, a bristlenose pleco, and a trio of african dwarf frogs in there. I put the decor in because the pleco gets very stressed without any hides and I don't have extra hides on hand. No gravel in the tub, it's in a separate bucket

The snails are a problem because there's so many of them. I'm sick of them. I like mystery snails and nerite snails, but I've hated these ever since the infestation started

I'll boil, thanks for the help :)

New Threads