Tearing Down My Twenty Gallon Open For Scaping And Decoration Suggestions

BettaFishyLuvr

so I have decided to just tear down my entire 20 gal tank. The decor looks crappy, the cycle keeps failing no matter how hard I try, heater keeps breaking, and I already lost one of my baby girls (betta Ik most ppl like it’s just a fish but I get attached easily) I am using TSS on a second ten gallon I’ll put the female guppies in there and put my two baby girls that r left in separate 2.5 gallon tanks (already cycled, I was gonna get a new veiltail female and a dragon scale but I’ve decided this is a better choice) so the girls r all set but I think I’m going to try aquascsping for the first time. I’m buying new bulbs a new filter, all new since my light is broken the filter is and the heater of course keeps breaking. So what plants are simple and easy for a beginner? I think I’m going to search for Java Fern so far since I like the way they look and people have suggested them to other beginners. Also what do you use for substrate? I think I’m going to do sand with a thin layer of gravel over it would that work for plants? I’m also interested in how u guys have just decorated ur tanks? Plz share ur tanks thanks for all ur help

CHIMERA

Other way around. Sand compacts, which can create anaerobic gas bubbles that will be toxic and deadly when disturbed. If your planning on doing a planted tank with sand, put down some sort of aquasoil and root tabs to compensate for having a low tech set up. Plant your plants in the substrate, then pour in your sand (keep it under an inch to avoid bubbles) then put your rocky decor or light sprinkling of stuff.
As for easy plants, I recommend Java Fern definitely at first, then branch out to other plants. However, Java Fern cannot be buried underneath the substrate because it has a rhizome. It’ll start melting and the roots will rot if you do. Use a piece of driftwood to bind it to.
When you start branching out to different plants:
- jungle vallisneria
- water sprite
- amazon sword
- aponogeton
- elodea anacharis

CHIMERA

Also if you need inspiration, here’s pics of my 2 20 gallon tanks. One is tall and the other is standard/long. I usually go for natural looks:

6B0C78EF-45A9-41A5-A78B-2405E43E18CB.jpeg
E4D930B1-3C80-4381-B17D-374648643A05.jpeg

psalm18.2

Why does your cycle keep crashing?

CHIMERA

Hopefully you haven’t been washing your media with tap water.

BettaFishyLuvr

No I don’t. I had moved some media over from my 30 gallon but I guess it started a minI cycle somehow. Wow your tanks look awesome!

BettaFishyLuvr

No I don’t. I had moved some media over from my 30 gallon but I guess it started a minI cycle somehow. Wow your tanks look awesome!
Dang it I keep double posting

CHIMERA

Dang it I keep double posting
It’s fine. Haha. Thank you, I hope your tanks end up being more awesome than mine. I struggled with the 20 Gallon long for a bit because I transferred a small amount of media and transferred fish. Unfortunately, it caused a tank crash because the diluted BB couldn’t accommodate for the same amount of fish. Still struggling a bit, but not as much as before.

CHIMERA

Also can’t wait until I get my paycheck...
And my new breeder betta female to be delivered next week...
I’m purchasing a new spawn tank with what little money I have and I just can’t wait. (I’m getting back into breeding)

BettaFishyLuvr

I'm really liking the look of the Amazon swords. I think I’ll definitely look in getting some of those. Ooooh sounds fun. I love baby bettas (I currently have 4) they r so cute. For a while I was going breed mine but with the tanks and school I was just too busy. I know what it’s like having to buy more fish and supplies with the little money (srsly I’m addicted to bettas and goldfish lol)

CHIMERA

I'm really liking the look of the Amazon swords. I think I’ll definitely look in getting some of those.
I honestly love experimenting with plants. Aponogeton looks really nice in sand. It doubles as a floating plant because of the branching leaves as well as removing nitrates.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AngelTheGypsy
Replies
Views
Fishnpups
Replies
Views
Brynbryn
Replies
Views