teardrop butterfly sick?

muddymidget

Reaction score
Hi, my teardrop butterfly has seemed to hide a lot more than usual. the nose/mouth area has also started to change color to black. I don't know what the cause is or how to make'em feel any better. I will try to do a few water changes and see how it improves in the next few days... but any other suggestions/help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi muddy - welcome to FishLore.

How often and what kinds of foods are you feeding this butterfly fish? What other fish do you have?

muddymidget

Reaction score
Thanks... however i was a little too late in helping the poor little Roger :-[ I got home from work and found him upside down :'(....

feeding consisted of flakes & occasional frozen brine shrimp twice daily. i have 3 damsels and a sunflower coral that have flourished as well and haven't seen any problems with any of them.... What could have gone wrong?! I do not want to make the same mistakes twice that's for sure!

flameangelfan

Reaction score
Hi Muddy, I am very sorry for your loss... as you surely realize, butterfly fish are very beautiful and can be very difficult to keep.
To help you have better success in the future I wanted to ask you some questions and give you some helpful hints.

First of all, every butterfly I have ever kept has been omnivourous with the majority of the diet consisting of vegetation (Dried Seaweed).

Secondly, how closely do you monitor your water values? If you have a coral, your water quality must be supreme or that would've surely died first. But for some reason Butterflies seem to be more sensetive to nitrates than many other SW fish I have kept.

My guess is that the diet was the main culprit. I have made it habit to become an "expert" on every fish I have ever gotten, that way I have very few questions when introducing them to my tanks. I also find it very intreguing to hear others' experiences with certain fish, since they many times vary in extremes. For example, I had a puffer and a neon goby who lived harmoniously together for over 6 months. The puffer would eat live foods and leave the goby alone. So I added another goby and i don't think he touched the water before the puffer ate him... but the puffer still left the other goby all alone.

Hope this advice helps, happy fish keeping!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom