Tear Drop Angel Care?

1. Totally Not Kermit

Totally Not Kermit Well Known Member Member

Tank size? Food, temp and tank mates, any one know?

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I had to google tear drop angel. lol Never heard of that "name" before.
    So they are a different species than the common angelfish you see in the hobby. They are called Pterophyllum Leopoldi. The common angels in the hobby are the Pterophyllum scalare. I have heard of the leopoldi, but not the name "tear drop" (until now lol)

I have a lot of experience with P. Scalare, but not with the Leopoldis. I think their care is pretty similar. I know they are a bit smaller. If you google their scientific name, you might get yourself some more info than if you are just googling tear drop angel. :) Just a suggestion.

3. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

Thanks, I saw they only get to be 2” and they said the tank size should be 20 gallons seems weird, I would have thought 15

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

From my understanding, leopoldi aren't available in the hobby (and i swear of reading articles online that this is a miss-identified part of the altum group. (Ill see if i can source it.) )

If you could get pics, we may be able to help you in determining if they are actually leopoldi.

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Leopoldi are available in the hobby, but they can be expensive and you need to make sure the breeder actually has leos.
    They need around the same tank size as a regular angel (29 gallons is good), warm temp (76-78), heavily planted, hardscape like driftwood. Sand substrate is going to be better than gravel as it will look more natural.
    Flake, frozen, and live are going to be your best options for food. Leopoldi are considered "dwarf" angels because they don't get as big as scalare or altums.
    Medium sized schools and some bottom dwellers (mid to warm water cories) can be done. The schooling fish needs to be around 3 inches top size at most, some dwarf rainbowfish might work.

6. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

Some one gave me one a few moths ago and it looked just like a leapold, so it does need a larger tank, the biggest I have is 15g

7. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it is still an angelfish and needs a larger tank.