Teaching Through A Fish Exhibit At School Fair

Gdpierce79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Every year, my school does an annual STEM (Science, Technology, engineering, Math) fair. It is not like a traditional science fair, we focus on entertaining families of all ages, not writing reports. All I have to do is tell people about my topic and have a poster. I need to explain how it is important. OBVIOUSLY FISHKEEPING NEEDED TO BE REPRESENTED!

So, now I have a week left and I’m stuck thinking, ****, no one else likes fish. No one will even come over to me.

My plans are to bring in one or two Amano shrimp. I would get a cheap bowl (maybe quarter gallon) and 5 watt heater from petco. Also, I’ll bring in my test kit and extra filter.

The whole point of this post now: Can anyone think of how I can teach people about everything without boring them? I need to be able to entertain anywhere from kindergarten to adults. Obviously, little kids (k-3) can just look at the shrimp. They will think I’m awesome, but I need to actually teach other people. I was thinking of focusing on filteration and the nitrogen cycle. Any ideas how to make this entertaining and interactive? I might use some of my liquid or stick testing kit, but as you all know, it is VERY expensive.

So, can anyone bring any ideas to my table?

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Woah that’s so cool! I wish I had an opportunity to do that in my school. But you can probably bring algae covered rocks and demonstrate the shrimp grazing. Or Using microscopes to check out the live B.B.? (Btw I don’t think Amano Shrimp are a good shrimp to bring in a bowl because they tend to be jumpers)

Gdpierce79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you! Good idea! However, I currently only have Amano shrimp. I can defiantly find a bowl. Maybe I’ll grab something, though.
I will totally ask to use a microscope. However, would you be able to see it?

Gdpierce79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks and good idea! Unfortunately I only have amano, but I will try to pick up some cherries if I can. I could always use more! If not now, I’ll definitely get a lid. Would you really be able to see beneficial bacteria through a microscope?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gdpierce79 said:
Thanks and good idea! Unfortunately I only have amano, but I will try to pick up some cherries if I can. I could always use more! If not now, I’ll definitely get a lid. Would you really be able to see beneficial bacteria through a microscope?
If its a good quality microscope and growing on a good medium, then yeah. They not that small (like a single atom) but they are small enough that some cheap microscopes may not be able to 'zoom in' that far.

According to Wikipedia, most nitrobacter is roughly "0.5-0.9 x 1.0-2.0μm" - so smallish - in size (Nitrobacter - Wikipedia). If needed, you could ask the school if they are able to view something that small - or even just focus the bacteria colony....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom