Teaching fish tricks

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just found a kit to teach fish tricks. It looks interesting and I just thought I'd put it on here. It looks cool but I wasn't sure if it'd be dangerous since it has limbo and hoops that would be a tight squeeze. Amazon.com : R2 Fish School Complete Fish Training Kit : Science Kit : Pet Supplies

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I once tried to teach my betta tricks when I was a little kid.
My fish got aggressive for the food, that was probably my mistakes (I know I made many:banghead:)

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Another problem I see is if it damaged their slime coat, do you think the tight squeeze stuff would be dangerous?

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Limbo is probably not a good idea for their slime coat and scales. on the otherhand, I've watched videos of a fish laying soccer, and that is cool. Even jumping through a hoop would be cool. Just make sure your tank cover is excellent as the jumping could make them jump out when you are not there.
Right, you probably don't need to buy a kit. You could use point touch training. Create bright colored pointer to direct them. give them food when they touch the point. then you can use the pointer to direct them through a hoop or to push a ball into a goal.
A pointer could be a bamboo skewer with a dull point painted with acrylics(fish safe). Just be careful not to over feed. :)

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
lol. that is too funny

I am too lazy to spend that much time to try & train a fish in that manner.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
trahana said:
Limbo is probably not a good idea for their slime coat and scales. on the otherhand, I've watched videos of a fish laying soccer, and that is cool. Even jumping through a hoop would be cool. Just make sure your tank cover is excellent as the jumping could make them jump out when you are not there.
Right, you probably don't need to buy a kit. You could use point touch training. Create bright colored pointer to direct them. give them food when they touch the point. then you can use the pointer to direct them through a hoop or to push a ball into a goal.
A pointer could be a bamboo skewer with a dull point painted with acrylics(fish safe). Just be careful not to over feed. :)
I've started to train my betta and goldfish with their regular food instead of treats. I'm using a net that I cut the net part off of as a hoop and a dull chopstick. Their doing pretty good so far so I'm excited, thanks guys!

New Threads