Teaching A Friend Tomorrow About Fishkeeping, Anything I’m Forgetting? Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptainAquatics, Apr 19, 2019.

1. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! So I have a friend (not the same one from my thread “angelfish illness”, different friend), who just got a 29 gallon tank and a Oscar. He let the tank run for two days, then got the Oscar. Anyway he contacted me tonight to ask what I thought so I talked to him about some stuff to expect and briefly went over the nitrogen cycle, however tomorow he is comming over to my fishroom and I am going to give him a crash course on fishkeeping, to sum it up. I plan to teach him:
    1. How to do waterchanges, and how important they are
    2. How to keep his Oscar alive while doing a fish-in cycle
    3. General Oscar care and the fact that he will need a bigger tank when the Oscar gets bigger
    4. Oscar fish diet
    5. Chemicals you should use
    6. The nitrogen cycle

Is there anything I am missing that I should mention. I am going to show him how to do waterchanges by havin him help me with my waterchanges tomorow. I am also going to make him a list of what he will need o get because he said he doesn’t have much other than the tank, a filter and heater, and the fish (he doesn’t have the chemical to go in the filter or anything). He also scarred me today because he said he ordered a redtail catfish, but it is for his friends pond that he is building. Am I missing anything? Thanks :)

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

7. Give him some of your media, make it a bit easier (and better for the Oscar)
    8. Common illnesses and signs of sickness (eg velvet, ich, HITH, flukes, various parasites, etc)
    9. Filter maintenance care

3. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Oscar tank mates! If he plans on getting more fish he should know what can and can't go with an oscar (which is sorta self explanatory to us, but he doesnt know..)
    Acclimation is also pretty important when getting new fish, and water testing of course, show him how to test water before and after your changes, that way you can explain what changes do and how they help a bit better, especially with the ammonia part that you wont have...

4. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Good to have a basic Fish Medicine Box before you have trouble.. salt, Epson Salts, Paraguard, Metro and Kanaplex if you can obtain it. Keep an emergency kit for Power Outages, battery air pump, mylar blankets, heat packs. Never a bad idea to have an extra heater just in case.

5. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Man I agree with all of this, especially having extra heaters! And even a stronger one than one rated to keep your tank warm if it gets cold.
    Lost of people.run into issues where their "heater isn't heating the same" because their homes are colder than in the summer.

6. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Most important of all, show him prevention of mts

7. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! First off thank all of you for the reply’s :)

@Rtessy i did plan to give him some of my media, and thought I would go over illness but I had forgotten in the moment so thanks :) I will also make sure to go over filter matinence :)

@Elkwatcher I actually talked to him about medication kits over the phone, but I will further go over that today. I also will show him my medication kit :)

8. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! I missed you, I will go over those things as well :)

9. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Make sure he knows how messy they are!!! They get BIG really FAST and he will need a bigger tank VERY SOON!!!! :)

10. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

I did talk to him about the bigger tank, however I do need to talk to him about how messy they are. Thanks :)

11. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Your welcome. :)

12. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I agree with @Dawn Michele , Oscars get big FAST!! He will need a much bigger tank in the future, @Rtessy , made a good point, give him some of your media, to spead up the process a little bit!:):)